On 11 Feb 2014, at 14:55, meekerdb wrote:

On 2/11/2014 12:42 AM, LizR wrote:
On 11 February 2014 17:21, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 04:57:50PM +1300, LizR wrote:

> You wouldn't need to say that if you could show what's wrong with it! :-)
>
> (Sorry!)
>
> I think the chances are a TOE will have to go a looong way before it's > likely to make predictions rather than retrodictions. Didn't string theory > retrodict the graviton or something, and everyone said that was a positive
> result? Well, Bruno's got qualia, apparently...

I don't see how he does. He does have the existence of incommunicable
facts (the G*\G thing), but that's not the same as qualia ISTM.

I said "apparently" because I have no idea how he does it.

I think a simpler form of the argument is that it must be possible to simulate consciousness because (we think) any physical process can be simulated and consciousness necessarily accompanies the physical processes of one's brain. This is the bet of "saying yes to the doctor".

With comp, I don't think we can simulate matter, nor consciousness. We can only simulate the relevant part of the brain so that consciousness is preserved. The price to pay is that matter becomes something emergent in the 1p views (1p plural) and cannot be simulated or emulated.

But there's a catch. When we simulate an aircraft flying or a weather system those have a reference in the 'real' world and that's why they are simulations. But if we simulate a conscious brain the consciousness will be 'real' consciousness. So simulating conscious is in a sense impossible; we may be able to produce it but we can't simulate it. Consciousness must be consciousness of something, but it need not be anything physical;

It needs to be physical, at least in the FPI sense of physical.

it could just be consciousness of arithmetical truths. This explains why aspects of consciousness are ineffable. It's because conscious processes can prove Goedel's theorem and so know that some truths are unprovable. Bruno takes "qualia are ineffable" and "some arithmetical truths are unprovable" and postulates "ineffable=unprovable".

Not really.
I guess people progress, as this is the new common error in fashion, but some logician did it too, and is a confusion between hypostases. Qualia are related to non communicable, but only *indirectly* through G*. It happens through Z1* and X1* (and S4Grz1), which translates the UDA. the Gödel provability cannot be used for the UD measure, due to the cul-de-sac worlds. That is why we need []p & p, or []p & Dt, or []p & Dt & p.

This allows him to identify specifically what makes some computer program conscious: it's the ability to do induction and diagnoalization and prove Goedel's theorems.

OK. But it is not a computable identification. We cannot recognize, neither from code, nor from computational activity, is an entity is Löbian or not. We can just prove non constructively that such programs and computations exists in a non computable distribution.

My problem with this is that I don't believe in arithmetical realism in the sense required for this argument.

Then you have to find me two numbers a and b contradicting the axioms of RA.

I think consciousness depends of consciousness *of* an external world and thoughts just about Peano's arithmetic is not enough to realize consciousness and the "ineffable=unprovable" identification is gratuitous.

This lowers the level only, unless you add something non computable in the local environment.

There are obvious physical and evolutionary reasons that qualia would be ineffable. That's why I think step 8 is invalid because it assumes dreams (of arithmetic?)

Once you accept comp, it is standard computer science to show that *all* dreams are emulated in Arithmetic.

are possible independent of any external world - or looked at another way, I think to make it work would require that the 'inert' computation simulate a whole world in which the consciousness would then exist *relative* to that world.

I guess we will need to come back on step 8, soon or later. Not sure what you mean by "inert computation"? re you alluding to the "inert" device in Maudlin and MGA, or to the static computations which exist in arithmetic. In that case it is the usual argument against block- time or block-universe, and this has been debunked repeatedly. Time and activity are indexicals (indeed translated into *variants* of G*).