On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> Depends on what you REALLY mean by the same point in spacetime.
>
> If you mean the same point in spaceCLOCKtime, then no, because the twins
> are NOT at the same point in clock time, though they are at the same point
> in space, and are the same point in p-time.
>
> But if you define same point in spacetime by your reflected light test
> then yes they are at the same point in p-time. But they still have
> different ages, different clock times.

I mean same point in spacetime in terms of the coordinate times and
positions assigned by a background grid of coordinate clocks and rulers of
the type I have discussed with you many times before. And in SR, when two
observers' worldlines converge the same position and time coordinate in any
coordinate system, this IMPLIES that they must also satisfy the operational
definition I gave (if you disagree, and think it is possible in SR for two
worldlines to cross through the same position and time coordinate but NOT
to satisfy the operational definition I gave, please elaborate).

In my Alice/Bob/Arlene/Bart example at
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/jFX-wTm_E_Q/pxg0VAAHJRQJthat
demonstrates a contradiction in your ideas about p-time, take "same
point in spacetime" in either of the above senses, since they are
physically equivalent. Points 2 and 4 are based on the idea that if two
clock readings happen at the "same point in spacetime" in these senses,
they must be at the same moment of p-time. For example, in point 4, the
event of Bart's clock reading T=0 happens at coordinates x=25 light years,
t=20 years in the single coordinate system I am using to describe events,
and likewise the event of Bob's clock reading T=20 happens at coordinates
x=25 light years and t=20 years in this coordinate system. If there was a
coordinate clock at the x=25 marking on a ruler, then when that clock read
t=20, both Bart and Bob would be right next to the clock at that moment,
with Bart's clock reading T=0 and Bob's reading T=20. Since these readings
all happen at the same point in space, naturally if Bob and Bart were
bouncing light signals off each other they would satisfy the operational
definition I gave too.

So, can you please over the example and tell me if you disagree with any
aspect of it (either my predictions for what readings should occur when and
where according to SR, or my conclusions about what this implies for p-time
simultaneity), or simply find some aspect confusing or in need of
clarification? Since as I've said, I'm convinced this example shows a basic
contradiction in your assumptions about how p-time works, it really would
be helpful if you would address it.

> As for the rest of your post you have a remarkable ability to move the
> goal posts during the game!
>
> The whole point of assuming an INSTANTANEOUS acceleration to stop the
> relative motion is that instantaneous acceleration produces NO actual
> physical effect. It obviously can't because instantaneous acceleration is
> IMPOSSIBLE. It's a thought experiment device designed NOT to produce any
> effect, so that only the effect of the relative motion can be studied.

Are you saying that a difference in readings is an "effect" while identical
readings is "no effect", so the mere fact that instantaneous acceleration
should produce "no effect" implies the readings should be identical
afterwards? If so this is just a confused argument-by-word-definitions, one
could just as easily (and just as incorrectly) define a spatial separation
to be an "effect" and no spatial separation to be "no effect", and
therefore conclude that if Bob instantaneously accelerates when he is 200
light years away from Alice, he should suddenly find himself back at the
same position as Alice with zero spatial separation.

In any case, instantaneous acceleration isn't just a meaningless
"impossible" scenario, it's actually used all the time in relativity
textbooks to simplify calculations (for example, see
http://books.google.com/books?id=vDWvUBiNgNkC&pg=PA180&dq=%22instantaneous+acceleration%22+%22twin+paradox%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GB_9Uq-ELfTEsAScgYGIBw&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=%22instantaneous%20acceleration%22%20%22twin%20paradox%22&f=false).
You can understand it as a shorthand way of talking about a LIMIT (in
the calculus sense) of a series of cases where the acceleration is made
briefer and briefer, but where the final relative velocity after
acceleration (zero, in this example) is the same in each case. Or you can
just consider it as an approximation--if the example deals with scales of
years and light-years, then if the acceleration only lasts a few seconds
it'll be a perfectly good approximation to treat it as instantaneous.
Either way, relativity does tell us what the ages would be in their mutual
rest frame after the "instantaneous" acceleration, and they would NOT be
identical.

Jesse