On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>  > what exactly is the question? Be specific and DON'T HIDE BEHIND
>> PRONOUNS WITH NO CLEAR REFERENT.
>>

> >The question is what do you [blah blah]

 DON'T HIDE BEHIND PRONOUNS WITH NO CLEAR REFERENT.

> You = the unique 1p owner of your personal memory in Helsinki

Then after the button has been pushed and the personal memory in Helsinki
is not unique anymore who is the "p" in the "1p" ? And why 1, what is so
one-ish about it?

>>> In Helsinki you know that P(my experience will be the experience of
>>> seeing a unique city) = 1.
>>

> >> Who is Mr. my? Be specific and DON'T HIDE BEHIND PRONOUNS WITH NO CLEAR
>> REFERENT.
>>

> > The unique 1p owner of your [blah blah]

DON'T HIDE BEHIND PRONOUNS WITH NO CLEAR REFERENT.  Is Mr. p blah or blah?

> By comp we know that [blah blah]

Well good for "comp".

>>> the question asked was about his first person experience,

>> person experience"? Be specific, give names, and DON'T HIDE BEHIND PRONOUNS
>> WITH NO CLEAR REFERENT.
>>

> > The question is asked to John-Clark with diary H, before the pushing on
> the button.

>> Who is Mr. you? Be specific and DON'T HIDE BEHIND PRONOUNS WITH NO CLEAR
>> REFERENT
>>

> T>he owner of the H diary, before he pushes on the button

If the owner of the diary, a certain Mr. he, is John Clark then the correct
prediction would be that Mr. he will see both Washington AND Moscow.
However if Mr. he is the fellow who is experiencing Helsinki right now then
the correct prediction would be Mr. he will see neither Washington NOR
Moscow. But of course none of this really matters because predictions, good
bad or indifferent, have nothing to do with identity and the feeling of
self.

> Well comp implies [blah blah]

Well good for "comp".

> > Please go to step 4.

Why? Because the first 3 steps were so free of ambiguity? The entire point
of including strange but physically possible machines like duplicating
chambers in a thought experiment is that it forces (or at least it should
force) Bruno Marchal and John Clark to reexamine concepts that in a world
without such machines seem so self evidently true that they're not worth
thinking about. But even in these bizarre circumstances Bruno Marchal
continues to use pronouns in exactly the same way that Bruno Marchal does
in the everyday world when Bruno Marchal orders a pizza.  Duplicating
chambers are not everyday things and thus everyday language is not good
enough in a world that contains them; if the referent to personal pronouns
was always unambiguous then the thought experiment itself would be
unnecessary because the point it was trying to make would already be clear.

  John K Clark