From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Feb 21, 2014 2:52 pm
Subject: Re: The situation at Fukushima appears to be deteriorating

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 5:50 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would this have happened if Japan had been using subcritical reactors with
> thorium fuel?

If it were a Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor (LFTR) and the cowardly operators
saw the Tsunami coming and ran for the hills and completely abandoned the plant
then the liquid Thorium fuel (Thorium dissolved in un-corrosive molten Fluoride
salts) would get hot, and that would expand the liquid, and that would cause
the fuel to get less dense, and that would cause the nuclear reaction to slow
down. Then a freeze plug at the bottom of the reactor would melt and the liquid
fuel would drain out by gravity (no pumps would be needed) into a holding tank
and the reaction would stop completely and the reactor would enter a safe mode.
All this is assuming that the operators were completely incompetent and never
lifted a finger to help the situation.

And because the liquid Fluoride salt is not under pressure as water is in the
Fukushima plant  leaks would be far less likely and much less catastrophic even
if they did occur.

  John K Clark