From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of meekerdb

On 2/21/2014 2:27 PM, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

I am in agreement but I am guessing humankind does not yet possess a working
LTFR that could power a large city. Nor, is a MSR (molten salt reactor) to
accomplish the goodies we all need, abundant and comparatively safe. Like
fusion, like solar, it needs development, and beyond a few bits of work here
and there, little is happening.

>>Human kind did possess a LFTR for a few years at Oak Ridge National
Laboratories.  It was a research reactor and was not used to produce
electrical power.  It was rejected as the powerplant for nuclear submarines
because the Oak Ridge director had Adm Rickover thrown out of the lab for
interfering with his directives.  Rickover, who was famously arrogant,
contracted with Westinghouse to build a powerplant using their technology.
And that's how the world ended up with uranium fission power reactors.

Thanks for the interesting back story on the Oak Ridge LFTR program; the why
of how that program got de-funded and shut down was always a little murky.

Chris

>>There are a few companies pursuing development of LFTRs.  One is proposing
to do the actual development in Brazil to avoid the anti-nuclear political
activists in the U.S.

There are many reasons why nuclear power is dead in the water. The sector
would have never existed without massive government subsidies. the cost
overruns in nuclear facilities are legendary. The reason they are not
getting built has less to do with political activists and a more to do with
the negative economic profile, especially once one factors in the ultimate
costs of long term (and perhaps absurdly long term) waste sequestration.

Additionally, when one looks at the global recoverable uranium-235 reserve
picture - not the rosy scenario in the red book (the quoted source for these
figures and which has been shown to be unrealistically optimistic) - it
becomes clear that there is no future for single pass through reactors, and
that the world is nearing peak recoverable uranium.

Naturally this is different for breeder types, such as LFTR (which IMO is
the best option of all the breeder proposals, both for the relative
abundance of the needed resources and for the inherent passive safety
features - as compared to the hellish example of what can go wrong with say
a Mark II type reactor (Fukushima and all across this country as well Mark
II are ubiquitous bad designs (at the time of their release by GE I recall
that two of the chief engineers on the design team resigned in protest
because their reservations about this design were ignored).

However realistically  - the lead time to bring working LFTR reactors to
market and to build out enough of them to begin to make an impact on the
global (or some important regional) energy market is long and should be
measured in decades at least. Decades from today is as soon as the first
LFTRs could begin to come online. By that time - they will need to compete
with solar PV and the per unit costs for PV that are achieved over the next
two or three decades. If one projects the future per unit cost for PV based
on extrapolating current long established trend lines the economics for LFTR
seem questionable - IMO.

Chris