On 22 February 2014 15:09, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:34:08 AM UTC-5, David Nyman wrote:
>
>> On 22 February 2014 14:25, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you say yes to the doctor, you are saying that originality is an
>>> illusion
>>>

>> Not an illusion, an invariant.
>>

> If it is invariant then it can't be original. Invariant means that it
> remains fixed across a multiplicity of variations. To be original means
> that it undergoes no variation. It is uncopied and uncopyable.

But I think that any serious (i.e. non-eliminitavist) theory of
consciousness must find it to be original and indeed uncopyable in the
sense that you stipulate. Sense is never copied; rather it is encountered
wherever there is a sensible context. One might say that it is encountered
wherever what is obscuring it has been sufficiently clarified. It
originates perpetually at the centre of a circle whose limits are not
discoverable. One shouldn't therefore think of sense as what is copied in
the protocol; rather what is copiable is only that which is capable of
differentiating one sensible context from another. I think that
consciousness, transcendently, is a necessary, original and invariant
assumption of any theory of itself. As such it is perpetually capable of
self-manifestation, given the sufficient conditions of a sensible context.
Always in terms of some theory, of course.

David