On 23 February 2014 00:27, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:06:39 PM UTC-5, David Nyman wrote:

>>> If it is invariant then it can't be original. Invariant means that it
>>> remains fixed across a multiplicity of variations. To be original means
>>> that it undergoes no variation. It is uncopied and uncopyable.
>>>

>> But I think that any serious (i.e. non-eliminitavist) theory of
>> consciousness must find it to be original and indeed uncopyable in the
>> sense that you stipulate.
>>

> That is the opposite of what CTM does though. In order to say yes to the
> doctor, we must believe that we are justified in expecting to be copied
> into an identical conscious personhood.

No, I don't think that follows. The indefinite continuation of
consciousness is directly entailed by CTM. In fact it is equivalent to the
continuing existence of the sensible world (i.e. per comp, the world is
what is observed). Hence any observer can expect to remain centred in the
circle of observation, come what may, to speak rather loosely. There is a
transcendent expectation of a definite continuation (aka no cul-de-sac).
This expectation is relativised only secondarily in terms of the specifics
of some particular continuation.

>> Sense is never copied; rather it is encountered wherever there is a
>> sensible context.
>>

> Encountered by what? Nonsense? What is a non-sensible context?

There is no precisely apposite vocabulary here. I simply meant the
sufficient conditions for the self-relative actualisation of a who, a
where, a when, a history and so forth. In short-hand: a sensible context.

>> One might say that it is encountered wherever what is obscuring it has
>> been sufficiently clarified. It originates perpetually at the centre of a
>> circle whose limits are not discoverable. One shouldn't therefore think of
>> sense as what is copied in the protocol; rather what is copiable is only
>> that which is capable of differentiating one sensible context from another.
>>

> What else could be capable of differentiating one sensible context from
> another besides sense? You are saying that sense is not copied, only
> sense-making is copied. I am saying that nothing is copied except for the
> ratios of distance between experiences.

I am only saying, or trying to say, what follows from the assumptions and
explicit rules of derivation of a particular theory. I can do no other and
no more. Under CTM, what might look like arithmetic, computation and logic
from the bird perspective transforms, in terms of those very rules of
derivation, into an inter-subjective Multiverse in the frog perspective. In
so doing it relies implicitly, as I have suggested, on a notion of
consciousness as a transcendent observational invariant.

>> I think that consciousness, transcendently, is a necessary, original and
>> invariant assumption of any theory of itself.
>>

> We agree then, but how does that allow for CTM?

Because if we are on the track of a theory of everything (vainglorious
though that may be) we need more than just a transcendent assumption. We
need a robust framework that shows at least some early promise of being
able to address the formidable conceptual and technical challenges that
infest the world-problem, hopefully without sweeping any of them "under the
rug".

>> As such it is perpetually capable of self-manifestation, given the
>> sufficient conditions of a sensible context. Always in terms of some
>> theory, of course.
>>

> Theory is always in terms of a deeper sense-making substrate.

I would say rather that theory must be capable of situating the required
notions of sense both transcendently and contextually. And theory mustn't
cheat by assuming a priori that its postulates are real (as opposed to the
point of departure of an argument).

David