From: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Feb 25, 2014 10:31 pm
Subject: Re: The situation at Fukushima appears to be deteriorating

On 2/25/2014 7:18 PM,      spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

Point taken. But I know that the progressive billionaires          do advocate
switching off our current dirty, in exchange for          promises of clean.
Promises, only, that is. Hydroelectric,          isn't really solar, its
gravity, so we can call it gravity          power.

    How do you think the water gets up above sea level?

We should never subsidize nuclear, fossil fuels, or solar,          because
they should stand or fall on their own.

    So how will they be charged for the external costs they impose?

Its not the politics of it, its the physics of it.          Right now people
are not using solar as a primary source of          electricity because they
cannot, even though a majority would          love to have it. It doesn't
provide enough and it cannot do 7          x 24. Nuclear has proven a disaster,
the way its conceived,

    Didn't you read John Clark's post on the relative deaths per year    due to
coal fired power plants vs nuclear plants?  And he didn't    even note that
we've never had a fatality due to any of those    nuclear powerplants used by
the Navy and NASA (although the Russians    have).

hence my urging to switch to Canadian Slowpoke reactors.          But lets face
it, it will likely never happen. Shale gas has          become the default
power as a result of no other alternatives.          What do you suggest and
how much time do we have to replace          the dirty and old, since, I take
you support AGW? So, what do          we do?

    It's clear what to do.  We continue to conserve power, convert to
sustainable power, and replace coal fired plants with nuclear as    fast as
possible while continuing research on all promising power    sources.  The
problem is how to get this done.  It's scope obviously    requires government
level leadership and organization, but YOU    exemplify the obstruction to that
with your Ayn Rand fear of    government and dogmatic faith in 'free markets'.