From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Platonist Guitar
Cowboy
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 4:51 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: The solar example of a town in Germany

Trans-Atlantic Free Trade Agreement comes to mind. It's seen as a silent,
gradual but finalizing invasion of Europe/US sovereignty by large corporate
interests, according to "Le Monde" as example. "Harmonization" of for
example environmental and health standards entail the imposition of the
"lowest, market friendliest standards for all..."

Otherwise of course, this whole thing will not make sense according to the
most powerful lobbies. Not just large US corporations, but the UK's
"financial industry" is pushing hard for the lowering of standards as well.

Labor unions in Europe will have to scale back demands and expectations,
because we need lower standards across the board, to harmonize. Apparently,
Europe's standards in way too many areas, including agriculture, food
production, industrial waste, hydraulic fracturing, or limiting corporate
interests' legal power to sue for losses due to balance sheet losses,
consumer protection etc. are way too high/strong.

If you're some large fossil fuel based corporation, you should be able to
sue governments and taxpayers more effectively for their irresponsible
market behavior in developing more sustainable technologies, because this
costs jobs and slows real growth and profit.

Germany will be interesting to watch in this regard, because popular
opinion/protest is mobilizing against much of this, but government and the
ever present German guilt over the war, puts the country in no position to
"say (dictate...)" much, even if many politicians are convinced by
sustainability concerns, via their records. So no say there. Especially not
to allied interests of large corporations and US/UK savior alliance, that
saved the world AND them from themselves. Germany is said to have sent
"lightweight obedient" to the negotiations, and at this point you can't
expect more from a country who's head of state has her phone bugged and
manages a "Spying among friends is not good" statement, as consequence.

Media is fed bits and pieces of "transparency" in EU, as in some US lobbyist
going "your food safety standards are way too high... why not dip your
chickens in Cl before packaging to save on all these stupid costs of keeping
farms clean you impose etc." (as if you could eat from the floor of an EU
farm...), but members from European Parliament are barred from seeing the
actual texts being negotiated, that lobbyists are said to be actively
penning, "helping us to harmonize properly".

And guess what? The European Centre for International Political Economy,
that should ideologically be favoring this "endeavor", predicts GDP growth
of 0-point something percent! This relies on you giving faith to "lower
customs means increased growth", which is quite blue eyed. If you don't buy
this, according to the authors of the study, then indeed, GDP growth will
increase only by 0.06 percent... from 2029 onwards though. So a family of
four will increase its income per member by around 4.54 Euros a month, in
about a ten year span.

Not hard to see who has the upper hand here and where things are headed
concerning this. Uhm...lower standards for the growth. But we really
want/have to test our luck to not even produce that growth, don't we? PGC

You are so right about the race to the bottom. The race so good for short
term profit; so foolish for long term preservation. With leadership like
this, one could ask: who needs enemies.

Chris