On Saturday, March 8, 2014 12:49:58 AM UTC, Liz R wrote:

> On 8 March 2014 13:10, Edgar L. Owen <edga...@att.net <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>> Liz,
>>
>> No, you are referring to two different categories of ontological
>> assumption.
>>
>> There are some things we don't directly observe that we DEDUCE by logic
>> from what we can observe. That is true.
>>

> It's true of everything. We don't observe anything directly. Neuroscience
> indicates that what actually happens is "something inside our brains" but
> even that is a hypothesis. The existence of matter, energy, space, time,
> our brains, other people and so on are all hypotheses deduced from logic
> plus observation.

I don't think it is true of everything. For example certain concepts like
the 'Mirror Pair'

>> But my point is that everyone assumes we can directly observe empty space
>> because our mind makes an internal model of things existing IN such an
>> empty space. But those are purely mental constructs based on continuous
>> INTERPOLATIONS between actually observed dimensional relationships, and
>> there is no evidence that empty space actually exists outside of our
>> internal models of it.

I acknowledge Russell, you, and whoever else making same point (though
different between you) are saying something that contains some sense of
being true. But I don't regard the reasoning as inherently substantial or
real either, in fact I think worrying about the realness of the external
world puts the cart before the horse. First dismiss internal value to
reason I should think. Look for a way that takes that non-existence
seriously. Firstly because it's harder that way, secondly because what you
end up with, if you end up at all, are powerful ways to proceed, that by
design stop worrying about externals in any direct sense at all.

Another relative sense I'd deal with your empty space insight, is that
relative to everything else nothing is more strongly indicated than space.
If space isn't real but susbstance isthen we have a major problem of
density. We're still in the moment of the Big Bang in fact. In terms of
what's real, that means we have to share that moment with
the original/authentic moment. If space isn't real, which moment then is
real? In the end, isn't this more about preconceived notions of what 'real'
has to arrange like?

It's like Bruno's idea that physical reality is not primatively real.
That's plausible enough, but then if it isn't, what we are left with is a
proxy-effect indistinguishable from the dimensional previous known as
physical reality. So it's actually a trivial point in context of where we
are, and what's around us. There's substance in terms of origins. But it's
very easy to use such things out of context. For example Bruno at one point
dismissed an argumnent I was making that drew on consistency of his model
to translate to physical layers, by saying such things didn't matter
because physical reality wasn't there.