On 3/9/2014 1:46 PM, LizR wrote:
On 10 March 2014 02:15, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net
<mailto:edgaro...@att.net>> wrote:

    Russell,

    Yes, but that is crazy because it assumes all theories are equally valid
with which
    I disagree. Science selects theories based on which best explain the
observable
    universe.

This is true. David Deutsch argues for this view convincingly in "The Fabric of Reality". (Russell and Brent are not disputing this view as a practical approach, I think, they are just pointing out that there are metaphysical assumptions built into it....unless they correct me on this.)

Deutsch pushes it strongly in "The Beginning of Infinity", but I have some reservations about his emphasis. I think what makes a theory good is multidimensional: predictive power, scope, testability, and consilience. It seems that Deutsch recognizes these factors as part of what makes a good explanation, but "explanation" invites an interpretation of "psychological satisfaction". Many people think "God did it." is a great explanation because it works as psychological satisfaction. It's got lots of scope, works every time, and is consilient with almost everything. It just fails miserably on predictive power and testability. I know Deutsch doesn't mean it this way, but it's why I don't like his emphasis on the word "explanation" over the more neutral "theory".

Brent

    Therefore it is reasonable to assume that theories DO reflect actual
reality. They
    are not just made up by humans willy nilly....

Not willy nilly, certainly. However the assumption that they reflect an actual reality is only an assumption, partly because it's impossible to prove and partly because, in any case, all theories are open to revision. (This is why people keep asking you for some testable predictions of p-time and Bruno for testable predictions of comp, for example.)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.