I see that John Baez (Joan's cousin) has gotten interested in the problems of climate change and sustainability:

http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/week319.html

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/balsillie/

http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/

Brent

On 3/29/2014 4:44 PM, LizR wrote:
Yes, exactly, if we assume that there will be no bad consequences if continue to pump out pollution, we are indeed betting out lives - and those of our children and their children on that assumption. If we try to keep CO2 levels down to somewhere around where they have been between, say, 1960 and 1999 (a period during which they increased by around 20%, I think), then we at least know roughly what to expect - a similar climate to what we had during that period, which isn't perfect but it's better than any runaway feedback situation (ice age or overheated greenhouse). That will give us time to control this damn planet better than we have managed so far, and my children (and preferably me) will go to the stars rather than relapsing into a medieval world.