On Friday, April 18, 2014 1:36:43 PM UTC+1, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

> The "causes schizophrenia" is correlation based conjecture.

I think you are probably contextualizing this matter wrong. It isn't a
matter fundamental causation. That's really another matter entirely. If
someone has x probability of developing schizophrenia all being
equal, but 2*x probability if they happen to smoke a lot of pot. That's
causation in the meaningful sense here.

I'm not throwing a definite claim out, but so far as I am aware, there is a
significant connection with pot smoking. Correlation is good enough for
here. Who cares - and who knows - what  the fundamental cause is, if
cannabis is a high risk for triggering it, where there are few other
triggers likely to have come in its place. That's a problem. Maybe society
thinks its an acceptable statistic. Maybe not. But it's the same problem in
practical terms as if cannabis did cause it. Same problem adjusted for
whatever numbers.

> Not strongly convincing, because I bet all the subjects consumed sugar and
> were involved in variety of other behaviors and consumptions. People don't
> live in test tube and the results of questionnaires and tests of this sort
> should be taken with a large grain of salt. It's just easy science to make
> money with and get funds for, from appropriate interests. To be able to
> single out that it was the Cannabis in all these people's lives as
> exclusive cause, and not merely trigger of latent tendency, is too strong.
> You can say "we suppose, correlation, because reason x, sample size y". A
> lot of things can precipitate psychosis in patients that already have some
> preisposition

PGC you're an interesting arty author guy, to my eye anyway. But being
truthful, I don't see a lot of content here. You're asking to smooth and
normalize, and perhaps there's an argument that hey if we make people wear
trousers  what are we going to force on them next. It's much more arguable
this would sit in the case-by-case bracket. I think I would also have to
question your use of correlation vs causation type argument. The correlate
is the major component in scientific statistics. A correlate is not nothing
PGC.

> We're talking poison, so ghibbsa, you're barking up the wrong tree if
> you're claiming that some people claim it "innocent". But you're right:
> it's more the world that people live in than the poison itself. If your
> perspective is a dead end job of being mechanically exploited and underpaid
> below ability to survive and make a living, and no exit is palpable, then
> you have increased poison use; without that, I think we'd see more
> breakdowns, psychosis, and crimes happening. It is asking too much to
> expect that segment of society to function "properly" while being shafted.
> PGC

I don't disagree. I had added that there wouldn't likely be enough to go
one way or another on cannabis. But again, I don't have a clear sense of
the distinctiveness of what you say here. The effects of drugs at the lower
strata of society, is or should be one of the major considerations. Because
it's there that we see community collapse, intractable criminality and
violence, and other serious problems, much of which is related to drugs.
Guy in the dead end job possibly not so much.......sadly people in that
sort of life seem to manage to keep their desperation behind their
bedsitter door.

OK sure, part of my story...a long way back in childhood sees me sensitized
to segments of society that probably you are not, or are less so. That
alright, but it isn't a legitimate line of argument that alone. If you
don't think it matters...why don't you? If you think the damage is
reasonable, what do you know about it? If you think society isn't paying a
hefty price...really? What do you actually know about this matter?