From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Russell Standish
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 7:10 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: TRONNIES

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 06:03:49PM -0700, John Ross wrote:
> My theory does not violate conservation of mass-energy.  It does not deal
> with Lepton number.  How do you know neutrinos have a Lepton number of 1?
> How do you know neutrinos exists?  Have you ever seen one?  I don’t believe
> neutrinos exist.  I have never seen proof that they exist.  Do you have real
> proof that they exist?

The first clue is beta decay, where a neutron decays into a proton plus an
electron. If these were the only 3 particles, neither energy nor momentum is
conserved, hinting strongly at the existence of another particle (called the
neutrino).

Then there is the existence of inverse beta decay, where a proton decays into a
neutron and a positron. Since a neutron is heavier than a proton, the extra
energy must come from somewhere. So there must be another particle involved.

And then you get experiments where the inverse beta decay is triggered by an
earlier beta decay, consistent with the existence of a particle travelling
close to the speed of light. See the Kamiokande experiments in Japan.

If your theory predicts that there is no such thing as a neutrino, I'd like to
see how it can explain a phenomenon that walks and quacks like a nearly
massless neutral particle. I can't see how you can do it without chucking out
conservation of energy and momentum laws, at a very minimum.

Cheers

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret
         (http://www.hpcoders.com.au/AmoebasSecret.html)