Hi Folk,

A little more you may find interesting.....

RE: The much-discussed arXiv paper

Maguire, Phil, Moser Philippe, Maguire, Rebecca and Griffith, Virgil 2014

'Is Consciousness Computable? Quantifying Integrated Information Using
Algorithmic Information Theory'.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1405.0126v1)

Now there’s an article in New Scientist

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229692.800-sentient-robots-not-possible-if-you-do-the-maths.html#.U3liRihGO5L

*‘Sentient robots? Not possible if you do the maths’*

The headline should read:

*‘Sentient robots? Not possible if you use computers’*

Breathtaking blindspot revealed yet again: The presupposition that real AGI
involves formal computing.

Here I am building a robot brain that does not use computing, and New
Scientist guy doesn’t even realise the possibility.

This presupposition is so completely trained-in it’s .... its......

<sigh>

I have been watching this for >10 years now.

I expect COMP to circle the toilet for a little while yet and then the
penny will drop. I guess.. 1-2 years?

Don’t despair: Brilliant (AGI) robots will happen! They just won’t use
computing as their main cognitive architecture.

Why anyone should be upset about this change of fortune beats me.

Cheers