On Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:43:33 AM UTC+1, Liz R wrote:

> On 25 May 2014 02:44, John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>

> And you think rusty high school algebra is all you need to revolutionize
> physics and win a Nobel Prize. Does anyone around here STILL think John
> Ross is not a crackpot?
>
> Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
>
> (Unless they are mugs, for they let out the coffee...)
>
> Sadly, having given Mr Ross lots of rope, I am coming to the conclusion
> that he's fashioned a very serviceable noose for himself.

You were *very* decent Lizzie...I had to read that post twice and felt it
rather moving, when you said his idea might be crazy enough to have
something...that it was elegant. I agree actually. And I think it's more
than possible, and there are more than plenty of precedents, for someone
being essentially wrong or ill-informed about a shed load of stuff, yet
right about something that in the fullness of time turns out to be more
significant than all of the stuff wrong and otherwise ill-informed when
should not reasonably have been. Not saying that'll be our John Ross mind
you...but I agreed or found agreeable something about the chap. Also, it's
good to feel sure - unlike poor Edgar - that John Ross will not be put off
at all by anything that has been said. He'll keep buggering on....for
better or worse 3p sense. Of course...it'll likely be for nothing...but
that is the price one pays for saying it's different. Of course he should
have learned the law of sines, and the other stuff...and of course John
Clarke gave a splendid and admirable showing and shall rightly be the star
of the thread. But on the other hand.....if Ross had known all that maybe
he'd never had had his insights. A double edged blade that one
certainly...but let's not forget it is a two edged thing.,