On 7 June 2014 16:18, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 01:04:51PM +1200, LizR wrote:
> >
> > To be honest the alpha particle is treated in the book. (At least I think
> > it is. My head may have exploded when I tried to follow the Ross Model
> too
> > far.)
>
> I just John Ross's word for it that he hasn't treated the alpha
> particle. He also reiterated that in a subsequent email on this thread.

True. I was fooled by a section in Chapter 12 with a pretty diagram showing
how an alpha particle is made up of tronnies performing what looks like a
weird 3 dimensional dance.

> No thanks. I'm not interested enough in these questions to bother
> picking through what will probably be a quite irrelevant mathematical
> model.
>
> I haven't looked at any of this stuff since I studied nuclear physics
> at uni more than 30 years ago now. I've posted occasional stuff to
> this thread where I thought it might be helpful - such as raising the
> issue of lepton number conservation, but I really don't feel it is my
> duty to thoroughly debunk the Ross model.

I would have given up on it if he didn't seem to be such a nice guy so I
feel I should give it more attention than (for example) the Edgar Owen
model. Somehow I feel that he deserves some tough love and then (I tell
myself) he will realise the error of his ways and be eternally grateful not
to have wasted another 13 years. (Dammit, it's like that dog who waited 7
years for his master to get off the train, you just want to tell the poor
thing, face it, he isn't coming back. And as for that Mr Spock, well he may
be unemotional with everyone else, but I just bet *I* could get through to

Plus there are just odd hints that to my uneducated perception appear to
almost make sense. But I really should kick the habit and get back to
trying to understand something sensible like comp.

> To be quite honest, John Ross is trying to convince the wrong guys. He
> should be trying to convince someone at the Perimeter institute
> perhaps, or even the editor of a journal like Phys Rev might be a
> suitable first step. But I suspect maybe he has already tried, and
> hasn't convinced them.

Yes.