On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:22:35 PM UTC+1, ghi...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, June 9, 2014 10:32:02 PM UTC+1, Liz R wrote:
>>
>> The TT has been so watered down that it doesn't prove anything except
>> that a glorified version of ELIZA can fool some of the people some of the
>> time.
>>

> If the TT has been watered down, then the first question for me would be
> "doesn't this logically pre-assume a set of explicit standards existed in
> the first place"?
>
> Has there ever been a robust set of standards? I was under the impression
> the TT had been left in a very generic form. Nothing wrong with that on its
> own, but normally in science I would have said that while major
> propositions tend to start out in uber generic form, what happens -
> historically speaking - at least in terms of those histories that converge
> on an eventual 'realization' are cumulative additions of further levels of
> detail, more or less proportionate with how near to the 'realization' event
> things get.
>
> Note: the original high level uber-generic proposition is never replaced
> or deleted. What happens is more akin to the emergence of multiple
> underlying hierarchies of increasing levels of detail, which in turn
> correspond directly to the manner of 'realization' being progressively
> converged upon.
>
> The same, incidently, is true of the 'universal principles' - again those
> that proved to be most valueable (most of which relate one way or another
> to energy).
>
> One of my personal reasons for being interested in the
> computing/information situation, despite finding large amounts of where
> things are at the moment disagreeable, is because of a more general
> interest in precisely this, more generic matter of...I suppose.....if
> any...I suppose.....patterns or common characteristics are shared by the
> 'universal principles'....not limited to what are usually regarded as the
> UP's, but also the 'propositions' such as the TT would be one.
>
> One of interesting features of the computing/information 'line' is that
> the sorts of transformations (from high level generic forms into
> hierarchical forms) I speak of have been notably absent.
>
> cutting a long waffle short, then, am I wrong about this? Concluding,
> then, by returning to what I said at the start (which directly linked to
> what you said in your post): is there an explicit robust framework for TT?
> Else, what sense 'watered down'?
>
> much obliged 2 ya.

p.s. "related one way or another to energy" was perhaps ill-stated or
involved jumping ahead of what is conventional concept-usage. Perhaps
better said would be, 'related one way or another to the character
in [not necessarily in the primary sense] 'physical ' law, of
'conserving-ness' (e.g. symmetry...as in, from a
certain perspective, knowing one side is enough to know the other, or one
side is the mirror of the other along some axis, etc)