Yes. But I have to wonder what we're doing wrong, because any sophisticated
piece of  modern software such as a modern OS or even this humble mailing
list/forum software we are using is already "hugely mind-bogglingly
incremental". It has evolved over decades of incremental improvement
involving thousands upon thousands of workers building up layers of
increasing abstraction from the unfriendly silicon goings-on down below.
And yet Siri, far from being a virtual Scarlett Johannson, is still pretty
much dumb as dog-shit (though she has some neat bits of crystallised
intelligence built in. Inspired by "She" I asked her what she was wearing,
and she said, "I can't tell you but it doesn't come off."). Well, I'm still
agnostic on "comp", so I don't have to decide whether this conspicuous
failure represents evidence against computationalism. I do however consider
the bullish predictions of the likes of Deutsch (and even our own dear
Bruno) that we shall be uploading our brains or something by the end of the
century or sooner to be deluded. Deutsch wrote once (BoI?) that the
computational power required for human intelligence is already present in a
modern laptop; we just haven't had the programming breakthrough yet. I
think that is preposterous and can hardly credit he actually believes it.