On Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:54:41 PM UTC+1, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2014, at 01:48, ghi...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>
> On Monday, June 9, 2014 2:20:26 AM UTC+1, Kim Jones wrote:
>
> In the "Is Conscious Computable?" and "Suicide Words God and Ideas"
> threads there is considerable overlap of discussion of "primitive
> materialism". This is the place where the Neoplatonists and the
> Aristotelians get to slug it out, so to speak. I feel the quality of the
> discussion between David Nyman and Bruno is worth signalling.
>
> Perhaps the time is ripe for a revision of Bruno’s version of CTM and I
> take the liberty to provide this.
>
> In 2013 he released a summary version to a Biomathics website which I
> thought was very good. I then redacted it into what I believe is the first
> Plain English version of comp available. Note that this is the short
> version of the SANE 2004 paper.
>
> This may help you to check your understanding or to consolidate/change
> your stance vis à vis Bruno’s core ideas. It is designed to read as
> fluently as possible.
>
> The link has been set up to download the .pdf file direct to your download
> folder
>

> *Comp 2013 Redux* <http://www.kmjcommp.com/COMP%202013%20Redux.pdf>
>
> thanks for taking the trouble to do this. I did read it through once
> again, but I suppose with some amount of trepidation shall have to report
> no status change as the result. Then to highlight the issues as I see them:
>
> 1. Nothing wrong with logic on its own terms. His points are reason and -
> allowing I probably miss some of the deeper layerings of significance -
> easy to understand and even 'obvious' (in a good way). Emphasis once more
> on 'that of it I could make out' as it were.
>
> 2. The issue - as I see it - is logical nonetheless, which may seem
> contradictory but just isn't....not once one appreciates the nature of the
> UDA is that of successive levels of logical deduction, each one building on
> the last (or summation of all previous taken together or subset or
> whatever).
>
> The logical nature of *that* kind of structure, must/should always include
> - cumulative with each further layer - appreciation and allowance for what
> might be termed 'exo-logic'. That is, say from the perspective of the
> initial conditions, or in this case the initial assumption (comp), the
> logical implications of not just what is in the assumption, but what
> 'sense', by what 'degree' what (a given thing) is in the assumption. all
> the way to what s not in the assumption at all despite appearing to be. All
> from the *retrospective* vantage point of whatever direction the layered
> deductive structure actually converges to.
>

> Specifically? If an implicit assumption is used at some steps, please tell
> the step and the missing assumption.

Why can't you see this is not a question of what assumptions you do or
don't make within your logic?

Ste outside out your box briefly, outside your logic.

Or just explore the logic native in the conception of deriving large
impications from....try making a logically parallel metaphor using
completely different objects...describe one of these you regard as
legitimate
I will create one for you. Let's say, someone got wrapped up with 'origin
of life', as in abiogenesis. Then had a similar idea based on another
universal principle - conservation of energy. So...reasoning his cogwheels
turns....energy is conserved always it is thought, and so origin happened
energy-symmetrically.

So then, assuming "cons-e" for origin of life Bruno...what logic is now
available
Or....I just constructed a physical test for you: Bruno I have just placed
'something' into a black-box. It is associated with 'concepts' which are
vague, and may or may not exhibit physicality, but I'm not saying.
Assuming it's emulable....Bruno....what are your logical deductions? Can
you deduce any non-trivial information what is in the box?

 How about the innards of Jupitor...assuming comp, is anything new
available to you?

Test it...get a friend to put something in a box, then you assump comp and
get deducing. If you manage to generate non-trivial new knowledge on a
statistically significant basis, I think you'll find yourself winning a
large prize for supernatural powers.

Or just from a straight appreciation of....why go elsewhere let's stick
with conservation of energy. New knowledge, because it's information, is
thought to be *energetic* in character. Now, we're still trying to work out
how it squares off.....and indeed this is one of THE huge baffling
questions of the scientific revolution. Philosophers  gravitate to this.
The centre piece of philosophical odyssey was an epistemology of knowledge.

There are unresolved problems with exactly how energy conserves knowledge
creation processes...we're not there yet. But nevertheless we assume the
answer will obey conservation of energy.

So, I suppose, no one can tell anyone else they can't have their own
theory. But I think it's reasonable just to ask you examine the logics of
what you seem to think is possible. The assuming comp for consciousness,
equates to assuming something about which absolutely nothing is understood
is emulable by 'something' which applied to this context, this one, about
which absolutely nothing is known.

So that's the energetic charge in your logical battery. How far do you
believe logic can be translated from this? You go a damn long way, but
perhaps you think you might've gone a lot further? Is it infinite Bruno,
how much logic and new knowledge you can deduce from something like that?

That's effectively a theory of knowledge creation. Personally, I would say
you aren't addressing the issues involved in that, but simply walking away
from them.

Finally.....as I took great pains to distinguish, the logic in
which analytics of things like this is best
available involves encapsulations. Something encapsulated, something else
encapsulating.

Does the mainstream not a logical scheme for that? It doesn't matter
because it's easily shown, but admittedly I derived the schema from first
principles, for practical reasons in that the need came in what I was
pursuing.

But look, you would agree, or not agree, that in the world we live, there
can be instances (in fact its ubiquitous) of things having their own logic
in a given environment or set of conditions. This is what we do...how we
navigate people and the world. Like empathy...we want to understand, so we
look for where someone else's behaviour or actions have their own logic. We
do this intuitively all the time. We do it by encapsulation...building in
whatever container is necessary in order to complete the logic such that
what is bizarre or unpredictable is now logical on its own terms.

The only thing different is that its very rare that people construct such
things in reverse. It's also a fact of life, we - humans - find it very
easy (we do it intuitively without thinking in the main) to encapsulate for
analysing others (we've evolved, potentially 'mirror' neurons to handle a
lot of the heavy lifting).

But humans don't find it easy at all to construct encapsulation in the
other direction. We find it very hard...and are prone to take offense at
any suggestion our worldsense and actions are products of 'encapsulation'
logics.

That part is new, if it's really true the mainstream hasn't bothered. And
so that I guess is what you are all finding so difficult.

On a lighter note, did you ever see Dead Men Don't Wear Plad? The whole
plot was constructed from Steve Martin's logical deduction from coming
across a dollar bill with a small tear at one corner, no writing, no other
imperfections just a small tear - deducing a vast global conspiracy of
diabolical complexity to sufficient resolution he know who was involved.

Yeah dudes...we used to joke about this sort of thing. Where did all the
good times go?

With no disrespect, I've made this my response. Below here, from what I
see, you exercise your right to repeat your position, which I'm obviously
well aware by now. And....lol....dismiss my large effort as verbose
jargon.

And once again, I find myself in the situation of being pretty sure from
what you said, just here, that you did not read what I had to say.

I'm not going to take offense about this any more, because I shall be
addressing the group generally, or whoever or whatever, going forward
regarding this matter in your theory. I will gladly talk to you Bruno....if
you feel you are getting a value from it when you never read anything I say
(and have *never* responded directly explicitly to anything I say).

It's a curious behaviour....is it something to do with comp as well?
'There's a possible pattern here, of similar deductive energetic
potentiality. Is there a connection do you think, between your [apparent[
logic the other day that you believed you were able to gauge what whole
populations believe; deducing first consciousness then nature of reality
itself from 'assuming comp'; have you assumed comp with me or something
else, that you already know what I've said?