On 6/18/2014 3:15 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:
>>But it does illustrate the way evolution can get stuck in a local
optima. And also further evidence that any purported Creator must be
completely incompetent.

Evolution always must begin with a preexisting platform -- so to speak -- and builds on top of it (in an evolutionary way).

Yes, I'd heard the story about the purple bacteriodopsin that used the middle part of the visible spectrum. But the implication is that these bacteria were shading the bacteria or algae that developed chlorophyll. Which might be true, but they've not been shading them for the last billion years or so since plants came onto the land. So I don't see it has a local optimum. There's a big chunk of spectrum right there adjacent to the spectrum being used. There doesn't seem to be any significant barrier.