That raptor rocket surely doesn't have *much* higher delta V than, say, the
Saturn 5? No chemical reaction is going to be that much more efficient, no
matter that you turn it into a superheated flying bomb. Surely for human
exploration beyond the Moon you really need (a) a moon base, (b) and
orbital assembly plant supplied from the moon base, and (c) some form of
nuclei/ion propulsion for your long haul space craft (which also need
shielding, of course!)

Or use chemical propellant to rendezvous with one of those asteroids I
mentioned, then sit back and wait out the 9 months or so to Mars.
(Preferably installing a permanent base in the asteroid, which effectively
becomes a mars shuttle.)

I wish I could type this without my hands shaking with excitement. We're
actually trying to go to Mars!!!!!!