On 18 Jun 2014, at 15:30, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:

More important the mere Oracle Machinery are O-regions, which were conjectured about 14 years ago bt Gauriga and Vilenkin.
http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0102010.pdf

?

I don't see any relation between Oracle (in Turing sense) and O-regions.

An oracle O is only an infinite information (a real number, or a subset of N), usually not mechanically (recursively) enumerable, and an O-machine is a machine which is allow to consult the oracle (to get an answer for question like "does n belong to O?") in the course of its computation. For each such computation the machine can only consult the oracle a finite number of time.

It is usually used to show that the arithmetical gods can't overcome incompleteness. I mean, if O is a set definable in arithmetic, even strongly not computable (like sigma_n or pi_n for high n), the O- machine can't generate the arithmetical truth. God, The One, Arithmetical truth, is (are) not arithmetical.

Bruno

-----Original Message-----
From: LizR <lizj...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Jun 18, 2014 4:54 am
Subject: Re: O-machines

Mind you anyone who uses "The Cyberiad" for his names (or indeed "The Sandman" for that matter) is OK with me.

On 18 June 2014 20:40, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Changing Olympia to a machine that computed non-Turing-Computable
functions would be a trivial matter: one would need to change only the
value stored in the oracle, not the computational activity Olympia performs. In contrast, no Turing Machine could be so trivially upgraded: no amount of fiddling with machine tables will suffice to improve a TM to Trurl’s level.

Is this what yo mean? I don't see how whatever value is stored in the oracle is non-Turing-Computable, surely the Oracle just stores a (very large) number which is equivalent to the result of a particular computation?

Or does it???