On 6/25/2014 7:36 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Some claim that my problem in Brussels was that in the introduction to "Conscience & Mécanisme" I make clear what I mean by agnostic (~[] g) and atheists ([]~g). Natural language confuse easily ~[] and []~. Modal logic is useful if only to explain that difference.

It's more complicated than that. It depends on what you mean by "g". Is it the god of theism, who is a person who created the world, answers prayers, and judges humans in an afterlife. Or is it the god of deism who created the world but doesn't act in it. Or is it one of the "gods" of mystics who is a principle or "nature" or an unnameable and unknowable something. Literally "atheist" is one who is not a theist, one who fails to believe in the god of theism. Thomas Jefferson was called an atheist because he believed in the god of deism.