On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:31 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the term has broadened out since it was first introduced. Nowadays
> it appears to mean believing there are no supernatural forces of any kind.
> It also seems to (often implicitly) mean believing that the "primitive
> materialist" view of the physical world is correct, too.

I thought the ancient Greek form was ἀθεότης, independent of the use that
apparently established itself roughly in renaissance. So "denial of god,
godlessness, unbelief" is translated origin. Complete negation after the
box is part of that. If you weaken the form to include agnosticism, deism
etc. it looses accuracy/intended meaning of origin. But yes, history of use
is a mess, due to church perceiving any alternative positions as a threat,
needing umbrella term. PGC