On 26 Jun 2014, at 20:51, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> Concerning the existence of a china teapot in orbit around the planet Uranus, are you a teapot atheist or agnostic?

> Agnostic.

Is the possibility of such a orbiting teapot large enough that it would alter your behavior in any way? If not then you're a teapot atheist.

Well both the absence and presence of that teapot might not alter my behavior, especially without pictures by cosmic bots like Voyager and Cassandra.

Why would I deny the existence of the teapot around Uranus. I can only find this quite unplausible, but as I want you to listen to machines, I have to train you to reason on large semi-axiomatic definition. So I will still say that I am agnostic on the teapot, may be here because I am not even interested in debating such existence (although I get the point for its use as a (bad) analogy of "god").

> You never know.

Are you sure about that? Are you a never know atheist or a never know agnostic?

> your analogy does not work, because the notion of god is not that clear-cut.

That's not important. Most intelligent educated people long ago abandoned the notion of God,

Lol

the important thing is not the idea the important thing is the English word G-O-D;

?

even though it no longer means anything people such as yourself just refuse to abandon those 3 letters if they are in that sequence.

On the contrary, I don't care at all about the word "G-O-D", I care about the notion behind. Call it the "ONE", and read Plotinus, if you want to understand a different conception of God and Matter.

God is more neutral than matter. With the term "god" you can do theology in a open way toward both Plato and Aristotle. With Matter you start in the theology of Aristotle.

You are the one who seem to care a lot about the word "God". I made clear that God is not nameable (in the machine's theology, with the lexicon provided in the Plotinus paper). So you are the one having a vocabulary problem on something for which we know *any* vocabulary is not suitable. So I keep the most common name, used in most book on comparative theology.

Bruno

  John K Clark