Thanks Russell for this very concise, comprehensible summary. I loved that
you managed to condense Maudlin's argument into three brief paragraphs
which made perfect sense. I remember when I first read his paper I lost
sight of the wood for the trees and completely misunderstood the ultimate
point he was trying to make. Your summary spells it out very lucidly. I did
understand this whole step 8 business very clearly at one point and then
more recently when I tried to explain it to someone I realised it had
slipped from my grasp once more! Thanks to you I now have it firmly in my
clutches again. Cheers.