On 8/26/2014 4:14 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:
Hi Telmo,

I think if it were as simple as you make it seem, relative to what we have today, we'd have engineered systems like that already. You're talking about an AI that arrives at novel solutions, which requires the ability to invent/simulate/act on new models in new domains (AGI). I'm not saying this is impossible, in fact I see this as inevitable on a longer timescale. I'm saying that I doubt that the military is committing any significant resources into that kind of research when easier approaches are much more likely to bear fruit... but I really have no idea what the military is researching, so it's just a hunch.

What I would wager on is that the military is developing drones along the same lines as what Google has achieved with its self-driving cars. Highly competent, autonomous drones that excel in very specific environments. The utility functions involved would be specified explicitly in terms of "hard-coded" representations of stimuli. For AGI they would need to be equipped to invent new models of the world, articulate those models with respect to self and with respect to existing goal structures, simulate them, and act on them. I think we are a long way from those kinds of AIs. The only researcher I see making inroads towards that kind of AI is Steve Grand.

I don't know much about Steve Grand, but I think Jeff Hawkins and his non-profit Numenta is doing good serious work toward AGI.