On 8 September 2014 04:59, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:06 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  and I thought intelligence was the easy one. But yes, using the same
>> definitions is important
>>

> Except for pure mathematics definitions are rarely important, most people
> have never looked at a dictionary since high school and they manage to get
> through life OK, and after all examples are where lexicographers got the
> information to write their dictionary in the first place; much more
> important than definitions are examples. Intelligence is that quality of
> mind that Einstein had in greater abundance than the average man; a
> logician might say that is not perfectly precise and they'd be right, but
> it's precise enough to work with

It helps in discussions like these to agree on what we're talking about,
which (by definition :-) means having the same definitions, or ones that
are close enough that we aren't talking past each other.

All you're talking about is how we can arrive at using the same
definitions. One way is via examples, of course.

(You appear to be "doing a Brent" and trying to find something to disagree
with when there was no such thing in the original post. In fact,
ironically, you're arguing about the definition of "definition" - which
proves my point, actually).