If I'm allowed to answer (not being a physicist) ...

I had the impression that this was already considered to be a possibility -
that the current state of the universe might be a false vaccuum (or
something like that) which could eventually drop into a lower energy state
and destroy the current universe, a bit like dropping a chunk of ice-9 in
the ocean.

It occurs to me that surely the amount of energy directed at a given region
of space (which I assume contains lots of Higgs bosons, or at least the
Higgs field) must exceed the specified limit inside things like supernovae
and quasars, so presumably if this was likely it would have happened by
now???