On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 6:01 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 >> If Evolution just stumbled onto consciousness because a astronomically
>> unlikely mutation occurred and not because it was the byproduct of
>> intelligence then it would be of neutral survival value and the human race
>> would have lost that property long ago by genetic drift.
>>

 > No, because consciousness might be a necessary byproduct of human like
> intelligence, but not of all possible ways to achieving intelligence.
> Evolution is constrained in what adaptations it can develop.

Then just like Evolution we will find that it is easier to make a conscious
intelligent computer than to make a non-conscious intelligent computer; the
first human level AI will be conscious, and if we wish to make a computer
that is equally smart but not conscious it will take a great deal more R&D.

  John K Clark