On 10 Dec 2014, at 21:10, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Thursday, December 11, 2014, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com> wrote: Same here, just one box. The paradox hinges on clairvoyance and how we could expect that to be sensible in the universe we live in. To my way of thinking, clairvoyance entails a sort of backwards- causation which I think can be made sensible in a multiverse. To wit, you make your choice (one box, say), and that "collapses" the possible universes you are in to the one in which the clairvoyant predicted you would choose one box, and so you get the money.

In other words, the justification for choosing both boxes - that the contents of the boxes have already been determined - fails to provide an account of clairvoyance that can be made sensible. Or rather, I just can't think of one.

Terren

Clairvoyance, as you call it, is not logically problematic. What is logically problematic is free will. The paradox seems to be such because people believe that their decisions are neither determined nor random, which is nonsense.

Free will is not problematic to me but I have never believed the idea that free will is related with some non-determinacy, which is the real non sense here imo. Free will needs only a high level local indeterminacy, which indeed all introspective machine have. Not a genuine nomological indeterminacy which in my opinion is non sensical.

Stathis Papaioannou