From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2014 7:01 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Natural gas: The fracking fallacy

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 , 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>You are out of touch on energy matters my dear fellow. The EIA and even more
>so many investment houses such as Goldman Sachs for example where making
>spectacular predictions about the extent of the capacity of the shale deposits
>in the continental US; predictions that have proved spectacularly wrong.

That's true, they were spectacularly wrong. Back in 2011 they bought oil at
$130 a barrel because they predicted the price of oil could only go up. Today
it's selling at $60 a barrel. So I repeat me request, after that epic disaster
explain to me why I should pay attention to their latest prognostication

I was specifically referring to published reserve estimates by the EIA, as well
as by Goldman Sachs and other institutions heavily vested in – and that have so
far very much profited from -- this tight oil & gas sector bubble.

You seem to be referring to futures. That is very different. What you refer to
is simply a bad bet in the market; what I am referring to is shoddy
unprofessional reporting at best (the EIA), but quite possibly fraudulent
promotion of false projections and inflated reserves in order to profit from
bamboozled investors. When the research arm of an investment house is leading
the booster charge – “America the Saudi Arabia of Shale” etc. and is knowingly
using these false projections and rosy projections in order for its investment
arm to lure investors into believing they will profit and to make money from
servicing the bubble it helped to create… that smells unethical and like
something that should be illegal.

> The shale gas boom has the smell of a manic bubble

Manic!? Bubble!? The price of gas is dropping like a rock, how in hell is that
a bubble?

The entire tight oil & gas sector is in the initial stages of a major collapse
in the US and Canada (tar sands) that is going to have major implications for
the wider economy and may cripple our brittle too big to fail crony financial
system of New York Fed favorites. Wait till we tax payers get the bill when
these institutions begin imploding on the coming wave of bankruptcies in the
tight oil & gas sector triggering an even larger financial tsunami off all of
that worthless paper vanishing from their balance sheets. You will perhaps have
a clearer idea then of what I intend by bubble.

>  How do you think drillers financed the very significant capital expenditures
> required in order to horizontal drill and then frack a deposit? There is a
> very big pile of debt; debt that will never yield a return, now that the
> market has collapsed.

As I explained, the collapse of oil prices is very bad news for oil drillers
and those who made a bet on them, but very good news for nearly everybody else.

No it isn’t. This kind of wild swing in the price of oil is jeopardizing the
continuity of future supply and development of upstream reserves. What the
world needs is a steady and slowly rising price of oil, that reflects its
increasing scarcity. This kind of wild swing is hugely damaging and you and I
and everyone will pay for it when it swings the other direction and the
upstream supplies that would have been there – given a steady predictable price
scenario – are not there.

It takes many years sometimes even decades to fully develop a new field.

For example this current wild price swing is literally killing the North Sea
oil sector. The whole upstream pipeline of capital allocation and development
for bringing reserves to market in five to ten years or so of time has been
badly de-railed.

The very fact you portray this wild price swing in such a vital commodity as
energy as being a good thing for everyone else betrays your quite casual
understanding of the energy sector and the very long time frame planning that
goes on in that sector. If you do not grasp how swings like this wreak havoc on
projects that may be still many years from market then finance is not your
strong suite either.

 >> New technology, in particular fracking, has been very bad news for the oil
 >> companies bottom line even if it's good new for the economy as a whole.

> Who do you think is doing the fracking?

Oh I don't know, I would guess  companies that are in the oil and gas sector.

> I’ll give you a hint… companies that are in the oil and gas sector.

And why would they do that? Because they know that if they don't somebody else
will. Selling twice as many barrels at a third the price is bad, but selling
the same number of barrels at a third the price is worse.

Yeah go set up a drilling company John. It’s as easy as pie. Let me see
horizontal drilling, fracking… all easy to do… hehe. The drilling companies do
it because they have the expertise, knowhow, capital, suppliers, logistical
heft, specialized sector financial, legal and lobbying capacity and so forth to
prevail.

The Saudi’s have their reasons for collapsing the global price for oil, and it
also happens to align with current US strategic military objectives vis a vis
Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Bolivia all of which are high price producers (need
oil to float around $100 per barrel)

There are some very good reasons for the Saudi’s to take a short term hit now
including: 1) driving the US tight oil sector (seen as a key competitor) into
the ground; 2) punish Russia for not supporting the Saudi vision for a Sunni
dominated Syria; 3) Put the squeeze on Iran as well (which is a higher cost
producer). They can do it now because it is in alignment with US imperial
interests in Eurasia… IMO. What you see as being dumb I see as being
diabolically clever.

The Saudi’s will cash in; it will take a few years to squeeze out a lot of the
higher priced producers and strangle upstream projects in the womb, but once
they have cleared the decks they will be able to jack the prices up and up.
There will be no short term response, no ability to bring supply online without
years of lead time to bring it on-stream. Wonder if you will still think they
are stupid then.

-Chris

  John K Clark