John Clark wrote:

With several bullets inserted into your brain with high power rifles you're head will explode within a fraction of a second and you're not going to feel any pain, but you're sure as hell going feel some fear the night before thinking about it.

I am reminded of Edward Woodward playing Breaker Morant in the Australian film of the same name about the Boer war. He was sentenced to death by firing squad for executing prisoners of war. As he was tied to the post waiting for the officer to lower his sword for the order to fire he shouted "Shoot straight, you bastards".

Although this is a scene from a movie (based on a real story), I think the image conveyed is not unrealistic for people who believe that their execution is unjust.

Bruce