From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 8:59 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Natural gas: The fracking fallacy

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 1:33 AM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>> I'm sorry Chris but that simply isn't true. Yes the Monterey shale reserve
>> was vastly overestimated, at one time they thought it contained 15.4 billion
>> barrels of oil but the true figure is less than a billion. However just one
>> oil shale deposit in the USA, the Green River Formation, contains 1466
>> billion barrels of oil, nearly 100 times what Monterey was thought to
>> contain even at it's peak. So although embarrassing the overestimate doesn't
>> substantially change anything.

> Yeah… and if you believe those figures I have a bridge to sell you in
> Brooklyn. In fact those very numbers you site are controversial and disputed
> by many petroleum geologists.

What the hell are you talking about? There may be controversy over what should
be done with shale oil but there is scientific consensus over approximately how
much shale oil is on the planet and that most of it is in the USA.

Incorrect there is not scientific consensus.. whatever this phrase actually
means in this context, on this matter. I have clued you in to the core of the
on-going debate about the planets shale resources. There is no informed
consensus – outside of shale oil boosterism circles – about the fact that by
far most of these resources ARE NOT reserves.

They cannot be exploited in a manner that yields a positive EROI let alone a
decent return on capital expenditures.

As I said already there is a lot of gold dissolved in the world’s oceans… much
more than all the gold in all the reserves. It is a resource, but that
dissolved gold is not a reserve. A similar argument exists for the vast
majority of kerogen bearing shale. It may be a resource, but it is not a
reserve.

Yet you keep counting it as a reserve and making noises about some “scientific
consensus” existing. Just because the EIA and IEA (both captive organizations
staffed by a revolving door system with insider vested fossil and nuclear
interests) say something does not make it the word of God! In fact as I have
pointed out they have got it terribly wrong in the past and in a big way.

> Just because it is shale does not mean that the hydrocarbons trapped in it
> are recoverable.

And that is why geologists say that there are 4.8 trillion barrels of shale oil
in the world with 3.7 trillion barrels of it being in the USA but only 1
trillion can be economically recovered with existing technology.

Keep reiterating discredited numbers – repating them over an dover when I have
in a detailed fashion given you the reasons why those kerogen bearing shale
resources ARE not reserves; in the sense they are not recoverable in a manner
that gives a net energy return. The kerogen needs to be cooked in order to
yield oil; cooking such a vast mass of shale – either mined and crushed or by
trying to frack it and cook it by pumping heat into the kerogen bearing
formation – it takes a huge amount of energy. More energy than one can get by
burning the marginal volumes of extracted kerogen. If it is so easy to extract
it with existing technology  then pray tell me why has everyone who has
seriously tried, including Shell Oils many decades long attempts in the Green
River shale formation you keep siting. Why have they all failed? Why has Shell
Oil abandoned its efforts after dumping so many millions in attempts to squeee
a profit out of that rock?

Unless you can answer these questions your 1 Trillion recoverable number is
pure unadulterated bullshit! It stinks like the spun PR it is.

 > This oil is properly called "tight oil",

And until about 5 years ago almost 100% of shale oil was tight oil, but
technology marches on and today only about 75% is tight oil, and just that 25%
is enough to cause a historic drop in oil prices that will dramatically change
geopolitics.

You are not making any fucking sense at all. What the hell are you speaking
about? DO you even know what the term “tight oil” means technically? It has a
very specific meaning, which seems to have slipped right past you. Tight oil is
actual oil that is in tight deposits in shale formations for example. But it IS
oil and it will flow like oil.

Kerogen IS NOT OIL!

Kerogen bearing shale is a very different kind of resource that has proven
uneconomical and has resisted every effort to try to produce a return on. Shell
Oil has just recently abandoned its kerogen extraction attempts. Try to
understand the implications of this. A major oil company, after decades of
trying and millions and millions of dollars spent has recently thrown in the
towl and essentially abandoned its efforts.

Can you tell me what this implies; or should imply to you about just how
difficult it is to turn a buck on kerogen.

> As I said before all of that shale you speak about – the vast majority of
> shale deposits in the world are kerogen deposits – HAVE NOT BEEN EXPLOITED!

And as I've said existing technology can only exploit about 25% of it, but
that's more than enough to change the economy of the world.

I bet you just pulled that 25% figure out of your ass John. What do you know
about the actual percentages across all the shale deposits in the US? Going to
the EIA and copying and pasting the numbers they produce – numbers that are
under attack, for example in the article I linked to in the journal Nature –
does not equate to a deep understanding of the particular geologic nature of
kerogen; nor does it equip you to decide how much of that 3-D mass of shale
formations, actually has enough oil collected in the micro fissures and cracks
to make it feasible to frack and drain out, versus the much larger mass that is
oil poor and uneconomic?

You just don’t know this John yet you trot out some bullshit number 25%. Back
that number up then. Show me where these sweet spots are and how you came to
this estimate. Give me a geologically sound argument for why anyone should
accept your claim that these formations will yield oil at the rate and volume
you claim they will.

What is the real world data you base your claims on? The very EIA (and IEA)
numbers you keep siting are under attack using a data driven fact based
approach.

> Why not?

Because 25% is the best technology can do. So far.

Smoking that crack pipe again?

> Do you actually believe that all we need is better technology?

Yes.

Smoking that crack pipe again?

> But today is not not 5 years from now and you have zero monetary, human,
> legal and political resources and yet you claim to know exactly how much gas
> and oil is in the ground in the USA that can be extracted economically; all I
> want to know is how you acquired that information.

> How about you tell me where you get your facts first John.

I get my facts by reading science journals like Science and Nature. What do you
read, conspiracy theories political rants and blogs by empty headed tree
huggers?

Well did you even read the article in the journal Nature I linked to that I am
quoting in this thread? You are a pompous man John, one who seems to mistake
abrasiveness for wisdom. You do not have the facts on fossil energy matters
John; your poor grasp of technical jargon such as “tight oil” betrays your only
casual acquaintance with the subject matter.

I recall many months back when you made a complete idiot of yourself on this
very list – trying to portray the global solar PV capacity numbers I had quoted
as being off by many orders of magnitude when in fact – as everyone knows – you
messed up your math.

Your arrogance gets in the way of your intelligence and hijacks it my dear
fellow. So go ahead keep calling me a tree hugger if that makes you feel
better; it does not alter the fact that you are demonstrating a poor grasp of
crucial energy terms, such as for example “tight oil” versus kerogen bearing
shale rock. It just sails right past you and you remain dim.

> Bullshit on your bullshit John. When you sum up all the river of capital it
> has sucked up and the mountain of derivatives built up around this bubble, it
> is trillions.

Trillions? Maybe in some new form of mathematics but not in the type of
arithmetic I am familiar with.

The scale of the global derivates market is immense – even if it is hard to
measure precisely -- with estimates of the total size at more than a thousand
trillion dollars (for example, Paul Wilmott estimates it at $1,200 trillion)
twenty times the size of the world’s economy.  The mountain of derivatives
associated with packaging and trading risk and debt in the tight oil sector is
a significant portion of that pile, which also comprises all the other
commodity, debt, and currency bets being bought and sold.

John we are not in Kansas anymore in case you still have not figured that out.

> What I think has happened is that the price of oil has dropped from $147 to
> $60, and that is not a estimate or a opinion or a prediction, that my friend
> is a fact. And you can wave your hands around all you want but it won't
> change that monumentally important facet of reality.

> And what gives you the peculiar notion that I am disputing what are well
> known market price points. John, what you are doing in fact is itself empty
> hand waiving. You have said nothing here. Do you have nothing of substance to
> say?

It's a FACT that the price of oil has dropped from $147 to $60 and you say that
FACT has no substance!

Wrong.. you say I say it has no substance. It is just a fact John. Nobody is
disputing that the global spot price for oil has gone down; you keep trumpeting
it like it had some magical hidden meaning. Does the current drop in the global
spot price mean that the Green River kerogen bearing rock is now got to be
counted as a part of recoverable reserves?

What does the current sot price have to do with the size of the global reserve
figures – other than at the margins of what is recoverable at a given price
floor? In fact lower spot prices are wreaking havoc on the upstream projects
that are running into a funding bottleneck. This will act to diminish near term
reserve figures. It does not act to increase reserves! Reserves will climb
slowly up as the price floor rises; marginal resources will begin to look more
attractive.

This is basic economics 101; it is bizarre how you seem to have such difficulty
grasping these simple concepts.

This conversation is getting surreal.

Agreed John

No that's the wrong word, it implies far too much gravitas, this conversation
is getting silly.

Agreed John… you should know, for you are in the driver’s seat my man…. Wearing
the clown suit.

-Chris

And by the way, this silly shale oil and the silly oil price collapse that it
caused resulted in the lead article on the front page of today's (December 25
2014) New York Times:

Oil’s Swift Fall Raises Fortunes of U.S. Abroad

By ANDREW HIGGINS DEC. 24, 2014

BRUSSELS — A plunge in oil prices has sent tremors through the global political
and economic order, setting off an abrupt shift in fortunes that has bolstered
the interests of the United States and pushed several big oil-exporting nations
— particularly those hostile to the West, like Russia, Iran and Venezuela — to
the brink of financial crisis.

The nearly 50 percent decline in oil prices since June has had the most
conspicuous impact on the Russian economy and President Vladimir V. Putin. The
former finance minister Aleksei L. Kudrin, a longtime friend of Mr. Putin’s,
warned this week of a “full-blown economic crisis” and called for better
relations with Europe and the United States.

But the ripple effects are spreading much more broadly than that. The price
plunge may also influence Iran’s deliberations over whether to agree to a deal
on its nuclear program with the West; force the oil-rich nations of the Middle
East to reassess their role in managing global supply; and give a boost to the
economies of the biggest oil-consuming nations, notably the United States and
China.

After a precipitous drop, to less than $60 a barrel from around $115 a barrel
in June, oil prices settled at a low level this week. Their fall, even if
partly reversed, was so sharp and so quick as to unsettle plans and assumptions
in many governments. That includes Mr. Putin’s apparent hope that Russia could
weather Western sanctions over its intervention in Ukraine without serious
economic harm, and Venezuela’s aspirations for continuing the free-spending
policies of former President Hugo Chávez.

The price drop, said Edward N. Luttwak, a longtime Pentagon adviser and author
of several books on geopolitical and economic strategy, “is knocking down
America’s principal opponents without us even trying.” For Iran, which is
estimated to be losing $1 billion a month because of the fall, it is as if
Congress had passed the much tougher sanctions that the White House lobbied
against, he said.

Iran has been hit so hard that its government, looking for ways to fill a
widening hole in its budget, is offering young men the option of buying their
way out of an obligatory two years of military service. “We are on the eve of a
major crisis,” an Iranian economist, Hossein Raghfar, told the Etemaad
newspaper on Sunday. “The government needs money badly.”

Venezuela, which has the world’s largest estimated oil reserves and has used
them to position itself as a foil to American “imperialism,” received 95
percent of its export earnings from petroleum before prices fell. It is now
having trouble paying for social projects at home and for a foreign policy
rooted in oil-financed largess, including shipments of reduced-price petroleum
to Cuba and elsewhere.

Amid worries on bond markets that Venezuela might default on its loans,
President Nicolás Maduro, who was elected last year after the death of Mr.
Chávez, has said the country will continue to pay its debts. But inflation in
Venezuela is over 60 percent, there are shortages of many basic goods, and many
experts believe the economy is in recession.

But the biggest casualty so far has probably been Russia, where energy revenue
accounts for more than half of the government’s budget. Mr. Putin built up
strong support by seeming to banish the economic turmoil that had afflicted the
rule of his predecessor, Boris N. Yeltsin. Yet Russia was back on its heels
last week, with the ruble going into such a steep dive that panicked Russians
thronged shops to spend what they had.

“We’ve seen this movie before,” said Strobe Talbott, who was President Bill
Clinton’s senior Russia adviser in the aftermath of the Soviet Union’s 1991
collapse and is now president of the Brookings Institution in Washington.

Russia’s troubles have rippled around the world, slashing bookings at ski
resorts in Austria and spending on London real estate; spreading panic in
neighboring Belarus, a close Russian ally; and even threatening to upend
Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League, which pays players in rubles.

The only major United States antagonist not hurt by the drop in oil prices is
North Korea, which imports all of its petroleum.

David L. Goldwyn, who was the State Department’s international energy
coordinator during President Obama’s first term, warned that an implosion of
Venezuela’s economy could hurt the Caribbean and Latin America in ways that the
United States would not welcome.

But “on balance, it’s positive for the U.S.,” he said of the low price of oil,
because American consumers save money, and “it harms Russia and puts pressure
on Iran.”

Even some of the indirect consequences of the price slump, like last week’s
break in the half-century diplomatic logjam between Washington and Havana, have
generally worked in the United States’ favor. Fearful that Venezuela, its main
benefactor, might cut off supplies of cash and cheap oil, Cuba sealed a
historic deal that has in turn lifted a shadow over the United States’ standing
in much of Latin America.

Another casualty of the price collapse has been Belarus, a former Soviet
territory long reviled by American officials as Europe’s last dictatorship. It
produces no significant amount of crude oil itself but  has nonetheless taken a
big hit. This is because its economy depends heavily on the export of petroleum
products that Belarus produces using crude oil supplied, at a steep discount,
by Russia.

Marwan Muasher, a former foreign minister of Jordan who is now a vice president
at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, predicted another domino
effect in Syria as Russia and Iran find it difficult to sustain their economic,
military and diplomatic support for President Bashar al-Assad.

Others speculate that Persian Gulf oil producers, though still wealthy, might
trim their financial support for radical Islamist rebel groups in Syria.

Mr. Muasher said the drop in oil prices could also prod Middle East oil
producers toward political and economic change by challenging so-called rentier
systems in which governments derive much of their income from rents paid by
foreigners for resources. “Whatever the case, it is clear that the effect of
the new oil price levels will not be limited to the economic sphere,” he wrote
in a Carnegie report.

This view is particularly strong in Russia, where former K.G.B. agents close to
Mr. Putin have long believed that Washington engineered the collapse of the
Soviet Union by getting Saudi Arabia to increase oil output, driving down
prices and thus starving Moscow of revenue.

In many ways, the recent price fall really is the United States’ work, flowing
to a large extent from a surge in American oil production through the
development of alternative sources like shale.

By offsetting declines in conventional oil production, increases in shale oil
output have allowed overall American crude oil production to rise to an average
of about nine million barrels a day from five million a day in 2008, according
to the United States Energy Information Administration. That
four-million-barrel increase is more than either Iraq or Iran, the second- and
third-largest OPEC producers after Saudi Arabia, produces each day, and it has
put strong downward pressure on world prices.

The geopolitical shakeout set off by the oil market has not gone entirely
America’s way. Russia’s troubles have so far shown no sign of pushing Mr. Putin
toward a more conciliatory position on Ukraine, and some analysts believe they
could make Moscow even more pugnacious and prone to lashing out.

The Bank of England’s Financial Policy Committee, which monitors possible
systemic threats, warned in minutes released this week that “sustained lower
oil price also had the potential to reinforce certain geopolitical risks.” It
voiced alarm, too, over an increased risk of deflation in the eurozone, the
18-nation area that uses Europe’s common currency.

The price drop could also encourage more freewheeling use of oil products like
gasoline, undermining what appears to be a growing consensus among nations that
carbon emissions must be reeled in to offset the most dire effects of global
warming.

While authoritarian oil producers like Russia are clearly suffering, China is
enjoying a huge windfall thanks to the price drop. It imports nearly 60 percent
of the oil it needs to power its economy.

China became the world’s largest importer of oil in 2013, surpassing the United
States, and so stands to benefit from plummeting prices. Bank of America
Merrill Lynch estimated last month that every 10 percent decline in the price
of oil could increase China’s economic growth by 0.15 percent.

Strong growth in China would lift demand for oil and help reduce the current
agonies of OPEC, which pumps around a third of the world’s oil but, largely as
a result of increased American production, has lost much of its ability to
dictate prices by controlling output.

In an interview with the Middle East Economic Survey this week, the Saudi
energy minister, Ali al-Naimi, indicated a fundamental rethinking by OPEC,
saying that it needed to focus on keeping its market share rather than trying
to raise prices by slashing production. “We have entered a scary time for the
oil market,” he said.
=====

  John K Clark