I recently became aware of a book written by William Stanley Jevons that
may strike a responsive cord with some members of this list, here are some
quotes:

"Are we wise in allowing the commerce of this country to rise beyond the
point at which we can long maintain it?”  We are growing rich and numerous
upon a source of wealth of which the fertility does not yet apparently
decrease with our demands upon it. [...] But long-continued progress in
such a manner is altogether impossible — it must outstrip all physical
conditions and bounds; and the longer it continues, the more severely must
the ultimate check be felt. I do not hesitate to say, therefore, that the
rapid growth of our great towns, gratifying as it is in the present, is a
matter of very serious concern as regards the future."

Suppose our progress to be checked within half a century, yet by that time
our consumption will probably be three or four times what it now is; there
is nothing impossible or improbable in this; it is a moderate supposition,
considering that our consumption has increased eight-fold in the last sixty
years. But how shortened and darkened will the prospects of the country
appear, with mines already deep, fuel dear, and yet a high rate of
consumption to keep up if we are not to retrograde.”

The book was written in 1865 and is titled " The Coal Question; An Inquiry
Concerning the Progress of the Nation, and the Probable Exhaustion of Our
Coal Mines"

  John K Clark