On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> we burned our planetary surplus up in a fantastically expensive cold war.
> What did that get us?

We got nuclear weapons which prevented the cold war from turning into a hot
war and cause the second half of the 20th century to be much less violent
than the first half, in fact per capita the least violent time in human
history. If you told me on August 10 1945, the day after the nuclear bomb
went off in Nagasaki, that as of December 27 2014 no other nuclear bomb
would be set off in anger I would have said you were crazy. Shown what I
know.

  John K Clark