>> If we were starting from scratch I would suggest Anarcho-Capitalism, I
>> think it would be far superior to democracy, but unfortunately we are not
>> starting from scratch and so it would be very difficult to get there from
>> here;
>>

> I thought of writing something very similar to this but then decided not
> to bother. Not because of Bruno -- he is very respectful of other people's
> opinions and always argues the ideas without resorting to name calling.
>
> For some reason that I quite never understood, Anarcho-Capitalism (which
> is just an idea) seriously offends people, to a level that makes me think
> that it goes against the dogmas of some invisible religion.

Anarcho-capitalism is bad... because it has nothing to do with anarchism in
the first place except the abolition of states... as accumulation of wealth
is kept under some hands, hierarchy is kept, and so Anarcho-capitalism can
only leads to the richer are the rulers... money is coercion.

Quentin

> [...]
>> aren't much better in a Democracy, 51% can decide to kill the other 49%,
>> nothing even close to that is possible in Anarchy, even theoretically.
>>

> Yes. Nazis where an extreme case of statism and collectivism, and they
> were democratically elected. Let's not pretend otherwise.
>

>> In general, the desire not to be killed is much stronger than the desire
>> to kill a stranger, even a Jewish stranger. Jews would be willing to pay as
>> much as necessary, up to and including their entire net worth not to be
>> killed. I doubt if even the most rabid anti Semite would go much beyond 2%.
>> As a result the PPA protecting Jews would be much stronger than the one
>> that wants to kill them. In Anarchy, for things that are REALLY important
>> to you (like not getting killed) you have much more influence than just one
>> man one vote.
>>
>> I can't give you a iron clad guarantee that some Private Protection
>> Agency won't switch from being a protector to being an oppressor, but I
>> can't give you an iron clad guarantee that the US Army will not overthrow
>> the government and set up a military dictatorship either. They certainly
>> have the means to do so if they wished to. I don't think that's very likely
>> to happen, but it's far more likely than the sort of organization I'm
>> talking about doing it.
>>

> Exactly. Unfortunately, realising that the "guarantees" afforded by
> statism stand on nothing, and are probably much weaker than structures
> created by networks of self-interest, requires a level of abstract thinking
> that the majority of people are either incapable of, or unwilling to embark
> on.
>

>> The instant a PPA starts acting in a totalitarian way customers would
>> abandon it , shut off its money supply and stop its cancerous growth in the
>> bud. That is a powerful tool that we don't have today, with the US Army you
>> are forced to keep sending it money through taxes even if you hate what
>> it's doing.
>>
>> But this is all theoretical, as I say we are such a enormously long way
>> from Anarcho-Capitalism that it may be too late and it's just not practical
>> to get to there from here.
>>

> Unfortunately I agree. Statism is a very powerful cultural virus, because
> it generates a huge population of dependent people. It takes control of the
> minds of the citizens from a young age, using Prussian army educational
> technology, teaching dependence and doing it's best to kill critical
> thought and creativity. It's a technology designed to create armies and
> it's very good at that.
>
> War is the natural talent of nation states. It's what they where invented
> for and it's the only thing they can really do well. With this inclination
> comes an addiction to growth, that creates ecological problems that it
> tries to solve through more statism. And round we go.
>
> Maybe starting from scratch will be possible one day, either in another

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. (Roy
Batty/Rutger Hauer)