From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of LizR
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 2:41 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why is there something rather than nothing? From quantum theory to
dialectics?

On 13 January 2015 at 11:14, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 1/12/2015 1:57 PM, LizR wrote:

On 12 January 2015 at 14:48, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 1/11/2015 4:22 PM, LizR wrote:

Also on the subject

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/27987-these-terrorist-attacks-are-not-about-religion

They say it's about their religion when they do it.  They cite religious
reasons for doing it.  Of course almost any action has multiple causes; but why
should we believe the apologists analysis of a co-religionist?  Maybe it's not
his sect of the religion, but he doesn't get to define other people's religion
for them.

I agree that they should be pursued and prosecuted as criminals. One can't
prosecute a religion.  But one can oppose the ideas of a religion and criticize
its tenets.  Being rational and liberal doesn't mean believing that every
culture is of equal value.

I hate to violate Godwin's rule but the Nazis cited scientific reasons for what
they did, at least some of the time. Should we therefore persecute science,
because the "apologists" say it wasn't real science?

All he's saying is that these people aren't practicing the same religion as the
vast majority of Muslims.

That's not at all clear though.  Throughout the Islamic mideast the prevailing
opinion seems to be "What did they expect?  Of course if you insult the Prophet
someone will kill you."

Yeah you may be right, although that may just be realism in that they know
there are fanatics, rather than agreement with said fanatics.

Contrast this with Catholics.  Charlie Hedbo frequently satirized Catholicism,
but no Catholics so much as even advocated violence against the staff.

Not nowadays, no. You have to go back a way before Catholics and protestants
burned each other at the stake, thank - er- whatever.

It's encouraging that in this case some Islamic leaders have denounced the
violence, but I think there are more that have condoned it.

Yes, I don't know, any statistics on that would be welcome. For information
purposes here is another article on the same subject, which comes to roughly
the same conclusion - that the point was poiltical rather than religious -
http://www.thenation.com/blog/194465/whats-real-reason-al-qaeda-attacked-charlie-hebdo?

“Sharpening the contradictions” is the strategy of sociopaths and
totalitarians, aimed at unmooring people from their ordinary insouciance and
preying on them, mobilizing their energies and wealth for the perverted
purposes of a self-styled great leader.
The only effective response to this manipulative strategy (as Grand Ayatollah
Ali Sistani tried to tell the Iraqi Shiites a decade ago) is to resist the
impulse to blame an entire group for the actions of a few and to refuse to
carry out identity-politics reprisals.

Compare and contrast something like this with the number of chldren dying each
year from preventable diseases. That generally puts similar events into
persective for me. The West wails and/or beats its chest when something like
this happens, but stays silent on millions of innocent deaths every year.

I share that sentiment; western mass media seems to only care about loss when
it is their loss.

And, in cases, such as this recent act of terrorism, the reflexive Neocon clash
of civilizations call goes out to solve the problem with yet more boots on the
ground; invading yet more lands; haven’t we learned after bombing Iraq for some
twenty five years (if you begin the count from the war’s first movement in the
early nineties… and for thirty if you count the Iran-Iraq war, in which the US
secretly armed and backed Saddam Hussein’s regime) that the muscular military
option has only produced a de facto state of permanent war with no solution!
Clearly the dismembered former nation state of Iraq is not better off now than
it was before they got a massive dose of Operation Iraqi Freedom, but also the
US, especially amongst industrialized countries has become changed for the
worse; the loss of individual rights – even the age old right (from medieval
times) of habeas corpus is under attack in this freedom loving country.

But hey it has been good for the MIC profit center –the US has not bombed Iraq
into a magically becoming a “freedom loving western style democracy”, but a lot
of money has been made by a very few people along the decadal road to failure.
Permanent war is good for some business’ bottom lines; big fortunes have been
made… at massive cost to the US economy and crumbling infrastructure, to Iraq,
Afghanistan, and the American CFUs as well. CFU is an acronym George Bush
senior used to use describing your average Joe; it stands for Cannon Fodder
Units.

The world does not need another large scale war in the middle east; there are
powerful forces that want that war however. Now talking – once again as they
always do in times like these -- in Manichean terms about a clash of
civilizations, and lining up support for the next major war. War is business;
and these people mean business.

-Chris

Liz