On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 6:20 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> No, as per my answer to Brent.
> >

> > The logic above alone does not tell us what the tests are, but it does
> mean
> > that consciousness cannot be removed without there being a
> change/difference
> > in behaviors.
>
> If consciousness is supervenient then you can't selectively remove it.
> You can change the behaviour and that may change the consciousness,
> but not the other way around.

But then that is just a theory of supervienience/emergence, it is not
epiphneominalism. In interactionist dualism, if you remove the
consciousness you cause behavioral/physical changes since the immaterial
mind can no longer control the body. With epiphenominalism, you could
eliminate the immaterial mind without having any changes in the physical
world. Emergence/Supervienence would not be epiphenominal theories, since
under them it is not logically possible to remove or change consciousness
without there being physically detectible differences in the system. In
epiphenominalism, what consciousness exists or doesn't exist, and how it
may appear to the experiencer is all up to the rules that govern the
immaterial universe in which the mind inhabits under epiphenominalism. The
way to view epiphenominalism is that our minds are immaterial souls on some
ethereal plane, and we receive information from a physical universe (in the
same way a movie might be projected to be viewed but not effected) into our
conscious minds. Yet regardless of what our minds decide to do with that
information, we're only watching a movie we can't change. If you really
believe your thoughts and mental events have no effects on the physical
universe then that is epiphenominalism. Not just that you can ignore the
higher supervenient layers, but that you're better off not mentioning them
at all under Occam's razor, it's easier to just deny their existence
altogether since they have no effects. The only thing preventing you from
cutting off your own mind via occam's razor is your own consciousness which
you have direct evidence of, but then you can only ever help to justify
solipsism if you cling to epiphenominalism. It's as dead-end of a theory as
Berkeley's idealism is as far as trying to figure out the properties and
requirements of conscious minds.

> conscious
> >>
> >> I think both statements are compatible with epiphenomenalism.
> >>

> > Could you provide me with your definition of what epiphenominalism is and
> > what it is not? Which of these theories of mind you consider to fall
> within
> > epiphenominalism?
>
> I'm not stuck on the term "epiphenomenalism" if it causes confusion.
> I'll quote Brent:
>
> "...being an epiphenomenon means one can give a causal account of the
> phenomenon without mentioning it.  But the epiphenomenon necessarily
> accompanies the phenomenon."

The "necessary" part is not part of the standard definition of
epiphenominalism.

> > Descartes Dualism
> > Liebniz's Pre-established Harmony
> > Berkeley's Idealism
> > Smart's Mind-Brain Identity Theory
> > Searle's Biological Naturalism
> > Physicalism
> > Functionalism
> > Computationalism
> > Eliminative Materialism
>
> I think functionalism and computationalism are compatible with
> epiphenomenalism. Identity theory, physicalism and eliminative
> materialism could be compatible, although they tend to devalue or
> discount consciousness.

But none of those theories are forms of dualism. Wouldn't you agree that
the conventional account of epiphenominalism is a form of dualism?

Jason