On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 03:24:35PM +1100, Bruce Kellett wrote:

> In other words, it doesn't appear to avaoid the problem with MWI
> pointed out by Dawid and Thebault:
>
> http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/9542/1/Decoherence_Archive.pdf
>
> You effectively assume the Born rule in order to get your ensemble
> of observers out of the superposition.

Thanks for this reference. I await to read in greater detail, however
on first glance, it does appear to criticise two components of
Deutsch's programme:

1) The decision theory approach to Born's rule
2) The objective notion of decoherence that Deutsch promotes.

I have already criticised 2), and indeed my own approach is an
antithesis of it (for better or worse, who knows :). And I don't know
what role 1) has to play, if any, in the scheme of things.

Anyway, my assumptions are hopefully quite clear - the PROJECTION
postulate applied to an everything ensemble theory, a TIME dimension
along which observations take place (the results of the projections)
and Kolmogorov's axioms. From that, one can derive a) the Hilbert
space structure of observer states, b) Born's rule and c) Unitarity of
state evolution in between measurements (ie projections).

Obviously, this is not you usual MWI, which takes a) and c) as
axioms. I'm not sure what you're thinking is being "snuck in" -
possibly it is the PROJECTION postulate, which is a statement about
what we think measurement (or observation) actually is. But the
PROJECTION postulate is _not_ Born's rule. You have to add
Kolmogorov's axioms to get out the specific form of the rule.

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret
         (http://www.hpcoders.com.au/AmoebasSecret.html)