On 01 Apr 2015, at 12:33, LizR wrote:

On 1 April 2015 at 22:18, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 01 Apr 2015, at 02:05, LizR wrote:

Well, no, there is no TOE that describes all features of the physical universe yet.

But if comp is true, there is. If comp is true, the theory with the axioms Kxy = x + Sxyz = xy(zy), or elementary arithmetic HAVE TO describe all feature of the physical universe. If not comp is false. With comp, we cannot add anything to elementary arithmetic or to any sigma-1 complete set. That is the point of the reasoning. That we don't succeed, or have not yet extracted it is another point. The TOE is there. All the physical (but non geographical, nor historical) feature of physics must be explained by elementary arithmetic, or computationalism is false. That follows from the UDA.

OK, but as you say - if comp is true. And I'm not saying you need to prove it's true because I know that's impossible. But as far as I know, no one has yet derived a convincing amount of physics from comp,

I have derived the propositional logic of the observable. I invite anyone to test it with nature, more than I have already done.

Then it is the only theory in twon which distinguish the justifiable from the non justifiable about the observable and the non-observable.

That is more, than the current physics. (Except for David Albert who does address the problem in its Bohmian interpretation of QM, and some few others, but unaware of the computer science restriction on what can prove machine about themselves).

so we don't yet have convincing evidence that it may well be true, if you see what I mean. (I think Bruce says the same thing in a post i'm about to read!)

Well, I think that deriving quantum logic is more than you might think. But to explain this I guess we would need to go deeper in the technical details. With the quantum logic you have the "yes-no" experiments, and if it verifies some conditions, it determine the measure, and all probabilities, then Noether theorem can almost add all the rest, probably with some help from the number 24. The theoretical physicists have already done a large part of the work. But they still invoke a physical universe for the existence criteria, which is where comp implies the reversal, and gives the tools to distinguish the quanta and the qualia (where the most honest materialist if forced to "explain-away" consciousness).

Then, I might not be a believer in comp, but 99,999% of the scientists (being monist materialist or dualists) do.

The dualist are more honest, generally, as they admit invoking some miracle. The monist materialist either invokes a miracle without saying (some even without noticing it) or they conclude "correctly" that consciousness does not exist (which for me is a reductio ad absurdum of materialism: you don't need UDA if you are simultaneously convinced by Dennett and conscious.

The point is theological or psychological. Does the person exist?

Let us define God by what is at the origin of things, or illusion of things, or reality.

Then the basic instinct of the people on this list is an intuition that such a god is (extensionally) equivalent with the "everything", and we have two nice candidates, which have almost precise mathematical definitions:

1) A universe or multiverse, described by the wave equation (Everett, or Bohm, or Von Neumann, ...MWI or not-MWI), which, when interpreted literally on some quantum vacuum can give rise to all possible quantum relative states. That solution is nice, especially that it randomizes away the white rabbits, and so seems already to be at least one solution of the comp measure problem.

2) ... well, 2 is more a scheme of provably equivalent candidates: any first order specification of any universal machine/sytem/Language (possibly with oracles) will do. The starting Logos, if you remember Plato.

Roughly speaking 1) say it is that universal number, at the exclsuion of all the others, and then has the problem that it has to eliminate consciousness. 2) follows from comp. If we bet on comp, (or extreme weakening of comp, I use comp to simplify the things, löbianity persists on a large class of non Turing emulable entities), the only one way to get both the quanta and the qualia is to look inward. Gödel's discovered that we can interrogate axiomatizable theories (machines) about themselves, and showed both their incompleteness, and the KEY fact that they can prove their own incompleteness, illustrating that machine looking inward, with elementary inference inductive abilities, can "see something", notably their ignorance and the productivity of that ignorance. Computer science described that ignorance, in many ways, with usually complex lattices structures, and complex logics. But in our setting, that ignorance is described by three logics G* \ G, Z1* \ Z1; X1* \ X1. Those gives the justifiable and non justifiable parts about the justifiable and the non justifiable, and about the observable with the non observable, and the sensationalizable and the non sensationalizable. This gives the person some responsibility in the arithmetical game, and save consciousness from reductionism.

All what I try to say, is that science has not decided between Aristotle theology and Plato theology. Physics describes wonderfully well Nature, but physics is not physicalism: the metaphysical doctrine that there is a primitive physical universe, and that everything emerges from that. In particular, if we assume computationalism, I try to explain that it does not fit with the aristotelian theologies, but that, on the contrary, it fits incredibly nicely with platonism and even more with neoplatonism, and even neo-pythagoreanism.

Many physicalists use computationalism, or mechanism to argue that the mind-body is solved. What they do, when formalized in arithmetic consists in saying that God is Z1 (say), where comp says that the roots of physics, and consciousnes are in Z1* \ Z1.

Physicalist or materialist, when using comp, as most do (not always knowingly), make a theological error, which explains probably why they eliminate the consciousness problem, away, or under the rug.

Even Hao Wang, an expert on Gödel, confuses materialism and mechanism, when he criticized Gödel's Platonism. Sade and Lamettrie too, although Sade is gifted to not hide completely the contradiction in the background.

I believe in free will, Liz, but I am not sure about free thinking.
I prefer the commandant of the plane not being a believer in flying elephants.

I am not sure the humans will make it if they continue to be so bad, so dogmatic, in theology. Today people come to belief in instruments and power, and we can see where that can lead.

You must not judge machine theologies only by the comparison with what physicist have inferred, but look at the whole picture, including the person(s).

I am astonished, and a bit sad, as I would learn something, that the "toy" machine's quantum logics are not yet refuted.