From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com]

Subject: Re: DNA Wormholes can cause cancer (what!?)

Chris,

    Hi.  It sounds like you might be in computing since you mentioned some
terms like "reposited" (I've never heard of that in bio!)?

Yeah I write software for a living… and reposited is a pretty common jargon
(that implicitly abstracts the particular details of whatever repository behind
the notion of a repository interface).

If so, you are very well educated in biology.  Nice job!  Your knowledge of the
complexity of a cell and of things moving around via motor proteins and the
cytoskeleton as opposed to diffusion only, etc. are real impressive.  Many of
the computer and engineering guys I know seem to be allergic to biology
knowledge.  Although, I admit I know almost nothing about computing either,
except for stuff from a few simple classes in Pascal, Fortran, etc. a long,
long time ago.

I have long been fascinated with biology – being a biological entity myself J

    I'd never heard of that  model where they ran it backwards to find the
genesis of life, but it sounds pretty neat.  I think it's certainly possible
that life started in a far away stellar nursery and then came to Earth on a
comet or something.  Although, I kind of liked that Star Trek (The Next Gen.)
episode where some ancient race of bald people seeded lots of different oceans
with their DNA and put a code in their that, once we decipher it, will play a
video of the bald people talking to us.  I thought that was one of their best
episodes.  But, the final question is still there.  How did the life originate
where ever it came from?  I can't rule out anything, but I bet they'll be able
to someday figure out a chemical mechanism for things to start replicating
themselves.

I think that we are closing in on this and that within a decade or two – if we
don’t blow ourselves up beforehand – we will be able to do genesis in the lab.
Already Craig Venter’s group is getting close to creating synthetic life –
albeit within an existing de-natured cell that’s had its own DNA removed. See:
http://www.ted.com/talks/craig_venter_is_on_the_verge_of_creating_synthetic_life?language=en

Just read an article today shown that micro-strands of DNA can self-assemble in
liquid crystals. Quoting from the article: “The new research demonstrates that
the spontaneous self-assembly of DNA fragments just a few nanometers in length
into ordered liquid crystal phases has the ability to drive the formation of
chemical bonds that connect together short DNA chains to form long ones,
without the aid of biological mechanisms. Liquid crystals are a form of matter
that has properties between those of conventional liquids and those of a solid
crystal—a liquid crystal may flow like a liquid, for example, but its molecules
may be oriented more like a crystal.

"Our observations are suggestive of what may have happened on the early Earth
when the first DNA-like  <http://phys.org/tags/molecular+fragments/> molecular
fragments appeared," said Clark.

 <http://phys.org/news/2015-04-hints-spontaneous-primordial-dna.html#jCp>
http://phys.org/news/2015-04-hints-spontaneous-primordial-dna.html#jCp

    One big advantage that computing and engineering have over drug discovery
is that the scientist can design a system he or she wants to make when it's
code or a chip or something.  But, because everything is so wet, bouncing
around, cross-reacting and "squishy" in bio, it's hard to design things to work
just the way you want them.  Cells are always mutating, proteins are always
moving around and chemicals are always cross-reacting.  I think we'll
eventually need to combine small mol. drugs and biological drugs with
nanotechnological devices and tiny molecular computers to cure diseases.

But that is also what makes it so interesting and also unfathomable at times. J

Chris

    I checked out that article on microbes being passed from generation to
generation.  It was very interesting; although, it kind of sounded like it was
passed via an environmental route because the next generation of animals lived
in the same environment as the previous generation, and the microbes are
probably all over the environment in the form of feces, shed fur, surfaces,
animals touching each other, etc.  I'd have to read more about it, but it
sounded like not quite a direct mechanism of transmission.

    One more pontification, and I promise I'll stop, but I think some of the
physics guys could learn from biochemists because biochemists are always
looking for mechanisms of action for how things work.  But, it seems like the
physicists are more content to say something works and we have the math to
describe it.  For instance, I don't think they really know even why positive
and negative charges attract or two positive charges repel, do they?  I know
there are fields of force, and exchange of photons (or other force particles
for other forces), but how exactly does this lead to attraction or repulsion?
I admit I know very little about it, but this kind of thing frustrates me when
reading popular physics articles.  In their defense, though, force particles
are much smaller than proteins!

    At least, Monday is over!  Have a good week.

Roger