On 4/20/2015 3:19 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
Dennis Ochei wrote:
No, it's actually completely indeterminant whether I am the closest
continuer or not. There might be a six year old somewhere who is more
psychologically like my 5 year old self than I am and with a higher
fraction of the molecules I was made of when I was 5.

Or suppose I get into a matter scanner at time t and it destructively
scans me and then reconstitutes me. then at some unknown time t+x it
creates a duplicate. Who is the closest continuer of the me that
walked into the scanner at t? At all t+y where 0 < y < x the person
who walked out of the scanner at t+epsilon is the closest continuer.

Huh? The scan was destructive according to your account!

Then at t+x the newly created duplicate becomes the closest continuer
of me at t and the other person loses their personal identity due to
something that potentially happened on the other side of the
universe.

This is already silly without me opening the can of worms that is
relativity. Which I will now quickly do: As observers in different
reference frames will disagree to the ordering of events, they will
disagree about whether the me who walked out of the scanner just
after t is the closest continuer. CCT requires non-local
instantaneous effects on personal identity which simply doesnt play
nice with relativity.

Time order along a time-like world line is invariant under Lorentz
transformations.I suggest that you don't know what you are talking about.

The information from the scan could be transmitted to spacelike separate reconstruction events, in which case you couldn't label one copy as having time precedence over the other. But I don't see what this has to do with anything of metaphysical significance. It might present a legalistic problem, but that could be solved just by flipping a coin.