On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:16 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 4/22/2015 7:38 PM, PGC wrote:
>

> Quote:
> "Both the records and the mathematical objects are human constructions
> which are brought into existence by exercises of human will; neither has
> any transcendental existence. Both are static, not in the sense of existing
> outside of time, but in the weak sense that, once they come to exist, they
> don’t change” (pp. 445-446).
>
> That's a statement of faith/dogma with pretensions of un-transcendental
> truth, which is as unclear and esoteric as how they appear to start their
> reasoning.
>

> Why isn't is just their hypothetical explanation of how to look at the
> world - like Bruno's comp hypothesis?

Everybody can choose their own theology. How/to what degree this bears on
truth is much more subtle.

They seem to confuse this because they first state false dichotomy between
Platonism and some humanism/nominalism implies their system.

Then they reason and conclude, see above, that some humanist magic will is
responsible for discoveries. So they do side with a flavor of nominalism
and, in strong fashion, state abstract truth of their faith. This strongly,
they leave realm of hypothesis + reasoning and do what seems to be closer
to advertising, with self-reinforcing messages. Looks circular without much
consequence, although I haven't read it and rely on the interpretation and
quotes.

How that's different from Bruno's hypothesis? He doesn't state in any paper
or post (to my knowledge) that comp is true.

>   You seem to be holding them to some standard of axiomatic reasoning when
> their thesis is to explain the origin of axiomatic reasoning.

With fuzzy elements, humans, prior existence etc. which is not wrong, but
this doesn't seem to clarify anything, nor do they advance with anything
novel from their proposal of the stated flawed dichotomy. PGC