On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 , Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> A real physical device is much more complex, that is to say has many
>> more attributes, than any of our algorithms. So if you have a simple thing
>> and a complex thing you tell me which is making a simplified approximation
>> of which.
>

> > The supplementary attribute that the physical device possesses have
> nothing to do with the algorithm

And an algorithm has nothing to do with the supplementary attributes of the
physical device. The physical device is far more complex than the
algorithm, astronomically more complex, so you tell me which is a
simplified approximation of which.

> You could say that a real circle is only an approximation/simplification
> of a real physical circle, which is made of ink molecules, etc.

Yes, a curve of ink molecules lying on top of a layer of cellulose
molecules is astronomically more complex than the set of xy points that
solve the equation  (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2.  So if a mathematical circle
is only a simplified approximation of a (sorta) circle drawn on a paper why
isn't a mathematical Turing Machine a simplified approximation of a
physical electronic computer?

  John K Clark