On 26 Jul 2015, at 13:16, Bruce Kellett wrote:

David Deutsch has some things to say which are relevant to discussions of computationalism.

http://edge.org/conversation/constructor-theory

"One of the first rather unexpected yields of this theory has been a new foundation for information theory. There's a notorious problem with defining information within physics, namely that on the one hand information is purely abstract, and the original theory of computation as developed by Alan Turing and others regarded computers and the information they manipulate purely abstractly as mathematical objects. Many mathematicians to this day don't realize that information is physical and that there is no such thing as an abstract computer. Only a physical object can compute things."

Aristotelian credo. No problem, but it is not compatible with the statement that we can survive with an artificial brain, even a quantum one. That approach makes mysterious mind, matter, and the relation between. It needs a quantum theory of mind, and if such is needed, then I am no sure why he would sustain Everett QM. It is a bit like the dualist or quasi-dualist interpretation of QM in Chalmers book on the mind. It defends Everett, but defend the type of theory that Everett made successfully coherent with QM.

Also, saying that mathematicians don't realize something, makes him taking like if he knew the truth, which contradicts his own epistemology, and betrays the fact that he does not try to do science when coming on the fundamental issue, where we can make our hypotheses precise, without asserting them true, and showing the conequences and refutability.

It is just that mathematicians does not need the assumption of physicalness to define and reason about information. Not even about quantum information, which, Everett QM show to be classical information as seen from interfering classical computations.

That is also coherent with his last paper on consciousness which seems non computationalist.

And later:

"Several strands led towards this. I was lucky enough to be placed in more than one of them. The main thing was that starting with Turing and then Rolf Landauer (who was a lone voice in the 1960s saying that computation is physics—because the theory of computation to this day is regarded by mathematicians as being about abstractions rather than as being about physics),

Of course I agree with the mathematician. It is the reading of book on molecular biology, and then on formal systems which decides me to do math. To say that computations is physics is like to suggest to someone interested in the game of chess to study the hardware of deep blues. It is a form of reductionist thinking, and deny that higher level description can have law which is independent of the implementations, physical or arithmetical or whatever.

Landauer realized that the concept of a purely abstract computer doesn't make sense,

Did Landuer realized that the concept of purely abstract natural numbers doesn't make sense? You get the first one with the second one. The notion of universal computable functions and relative numbers makes as much sense to me that the notion of odd numbers.

and the theory of computation has to be a theory of what physical objects can do to information.

That could lead to an interesting notion of physical computations, but it is revisionism. Computations have been discovered by mathematical logicians, and soon proved to exist, or to be emulated by the natural number relations. Indeed we need no more than the Diophantine Polynomial Relations.

Also, QM assumes the natural numbers. The more general theory of waves, eve just trigonometry assumes the natural numbers. The theory of natural numbers does not assume a physical reality.

Landauer focused on what restrictions the laws of physics imposed on what kinds of computation can be done."

Can be done relatively to some resource. That is interesting, but is only a subtheory of special purpose computation. For the universal computations, the quantum computer is but a special type of Turing universal system.

"The notion of a purely abstract computer doesn't make sense!" I find myself to be sympathetic with this view.

I can understand, as it seems you are a partisan of the Aristotelian dogma: God = Nature. With comp we have the much easier, conceptual theory: GOD = the natural numbers together with the laws of multiplication and addition.

This really *explains* where the appearances come from, and why some can be sharable by growing collection of universal numbers, and why some are not sharable and look mysterious and inspiring. It explains both the origin of quanta and the origin of qualia, and thanks to those quanta, the theory is refutable.

All evidences go for comp, I would say. The neurophysiological evidences, and the startling MWI confirmation, and the existence of the arithmetical quantization right where UDA predict they should be.

Now, when you realize how much it is hard for people to change their mind on Hemp, despite the lies are rather obvious and despite they exist only since 70 years, you might conceive how much it will be hard to explain that in theology we are wrong, and also lied, as this perdure since 1500 years.

In theology, if we except the Greeks and many anonymous people, the majority have still not learned to say "we don't know", which is the prerequisite for doing research and try theories.

Bruno

Bruce