On Tue, Aug 18, 2015  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> ​>
>>> ​>>​
>>> What does happen is 3p, and the question is about the 1p.
>>
>> ​>> ​
>> What! So whatever really does happen to ​Bruno Marchal
>> ​ after the duplication there will be no 1p?
>>

> ​> ​
> Why would I ask you to predict the 1p if there were none?

​No idea, but John Clark is not required to explain Bruno
Marchal
​'s actions.​

​> ​
> Why do you say this?

​Because the only way John Clark knows how to interpret "​ "
What does happen is 3p, and the question is about the 1p
​" is that the 1p does not happen after duplication in which case John
Clark has no idea what "1p" means.

> ​>>​
>> After the duplication
>> ​ ​
>> Bruno Marchal
>> ​ will have no subjective experience?? ​
>>

> ​> ​
> After duplication, both copies will have a (single, definite) subjective
> experience.

​And BOTH are ​
​
Bruno Marchal
​ from their subjective point of view. John Clark makes no claim that
either of them is or is not "you" because John Clark does not know what one
and only one thing that personal pronoun means in a world with "you"
duplicating machines.

> ​> ​
> We assume comp, remember?

​I don't assume "comp", remember?​

​> ​
> Rhetroical trick. comp is computationalism. By definition.

​Usage is always more important that definitions. I don't care about your
homemade definition of your homemade baby talk word, I care about your
usage of the word, and from usage  I conclude that "comp" has little or
nothing to do with computationalism.

> ​> ​
> It is up to you to show what is gibberish.

​It is up to you to show which of the 2 people after the duplication who go
by the name of "you" is THE One True YOU, the only "you" that
is relevant in determining if the prediction made in Helsinki was correct
or not. But of course prediction, correct or incorrect, have nothing to do
with consciousness or the continuous feeling of personal identity.

>> ​>> ​
>> if we asked "what will happen to Ed after the duplication?" then that
>> question would not be gibberish and if Ed were rational Ed
>> could correctly answer it.
>

> ​> ​
> "What will happen" in this context is ambiguous. It can mean "what will
> happen from the 1p view", or "what will happen from the 3p view".

​To hell with viewing peepee! To avoid ambiguity after the
duplication simply ask the man, or rather the men, "are you Ed?" and if
they say "yes" that that ends the matter, they are Ed. Therefore if Ed were
rational back in Helsinki Ed would predict that Ed would see Moscow AND Ed
would see Washington. And Ed's prediction would turn out to have been
correct.

However
​after the duplication if
Bruno Marchal
​ asked John Clark "are you you in the 1p view or are you you in the 3p
view" John Clark wouldn't have any idea how to respond to such a silly
question. Therefore "what one and only one thing will *you* see after the
duplication?" has no answer because it is not a question at all, it is just
gibberish with a question mark at the end.

  John K Clark