On 03 Oct 2015, at 02:50, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 3/10/2015 10:37 am, smitra wrote:
On 03-10-2015 02:10, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 3/10/2015 9:59 am, smitra wrote:
On 03-10-2015 01:28, Bruce Kellett wrote:
I have always thought this. I am a physicist with a lifelong interest in astronomy. In particular, the structure of the CMB is a topic of particular interest. So for any copy in another universe to be "me" in all detail, that copy must be able to observe exactly the same structure in the CMB. Now the CMB is the echo of the big bang and is the furthest object that we can now observe: it defines our "particle horizon", beyond which no data or interaction is possible. In order to get this right, the whole universe would have to be the same in every detail.

You can only have access to a small fraction of the information inside one Hubble volume.

No, you can have access to it all, but you can only retain a very
small portion of that total.

If your physical state would only be compatible with one unique physical state for the entire Hubble volume, then we don't have to bother studying the universe, we can just peer into your body and brain and be done with it.

An admirable non seqitur! I do not have to contain all the information
in the Hubble volume -- I need only have detailed memory of some
aspects of the CMB for that knowledge to be incompatible with
differences in other details. That small piece of knowledge is
sufficient to say that in orderto reproduce me, you have to reproduce
the entire universe, in all its detail: that knowledge of the CMB is
an essential part of what it is to be me!

The latter part of your statement above is just silly.

Bruce

Then that reproduction procedure would define a one to one mapping from your physical state to that of the entire universe, and from that we could in principle extract what some ET in some far away galaxy is having for dinner.

If you knew that map in detail. But you don't, and can't, so there's an end to it.

But if there is an end to it, it means that the copy of you, where the only error made is about the meal of ET, will not see any difference, but then he will be undetermined on all ET's meals. That's what QM describes, you can locally unentangle yourself by isolation of systems, that is what we do when we prepare pure states.

Whatever low the level of substitution is chosen, if there is an "end of it", you can't escape the consequence of the multi-preparation in the universal wave or in whatever emerge from arithmetic seen from inside.

Bruno

Bruce