On 10/4/2015 3:53 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 5 Oct 2015, at 5:14 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 4 October 2015 at 07:31, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

            On 3 Oct 2015, at 5:02 PM, Brent Meeker
            <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

                On 10/2/2015 8:52 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
                Remote copies are still copies. If a copy of you
                were made in the Andromeda Galaxy a billion years
                hence, it would still *by definition* think it was
                you despite being made of different matter, despite
                it being far removed in space and time, despite it
                possibly having no physical connection with you.

            Yes, it would think so, but would it be right?  In what
            sense is it possible to right?

        I don't think the difficulty of verification invalidates the
        point I am making. A sceptical challenge could be mounted in
        everyday life - we could have false memories and false
        beliefs about ourselves.

    But we check those against the consistency of our environment,
    physics and our friends - which I think is the crux of Bruce's
    idea that you have to reproduce a big chunk of the surrounding
    world in order to get the kind of continuity you need.

Not really. If you unexpectedly found yourself in a weird environment, floating in a bubble in space with no recollection of how you got there for example, I think you would become anxious, theorise about how you might have got there and what might happen next, and so on. I can't imagine that your first thought would be that, with most normal environmental cues gone, you would forget who you were.

Sure. But if you can find no causal explanation connecting your circumstances to your memories you might well doubt your memories were veridical, especially if you knew duplication of humans was possible.

But this doesn't mean that the sense of continuing as the same person is dependent on replicating the whole visible universe.

Is that what the argument is about? Whether one can have the "sense of continuity"? I'm pretty sure that's possible without even a very close duplication. What does it consist of? ...knowing a name, some memories associated with that name...